Insulate exposed sub-floor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
stonesy

Insulate exposed sub-floor

Post by stonesy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello,

I wanted to share my plan for addressing a zero-insulation issue that I hope to fix myself. Purchased a new home at the end of 2018 and the bedroom is downstairs, over an exposed area. The previous owners never bothered to put any insulation under the bedroom sub floor, as a result, the bedroom floor is very very cold, and the bedroom itself is colder than I would like,

My plan is to:
1. Use an application of foam insulation to seal the edges of each void between the joists
2. Wrap the pipes that are exposed
3. Use batts of R-30 or R-38 fiberglass insulation to fill the voids, with the foil side facing “up” against the sub-floor
4. Protect the insulation from rodent invasion by sealing each void with polyshield insulation blocks that extend over the joists to prevent thermal bridging.
5. Seal it all with a layer of plywood, probably 1/2” or so

Is this overkill? Underkill? I am in California and it rarely freezes, but has lately. Any of these steps redundant? Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Shannon

Re: Insulate exposed sub-floor

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Sounds like this is a room on stilts or over a crawl space?
I would think that either the spray foam or the fibreglass would be enough in your area but I could be wrong. Spruce is our Cali. guy so he will have some first hand knowledge from closer to home for you. I'm sure he will be along here shortly.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

stonesy

Post by stonesy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:07 pm

Hi Shannon,

Yes, the room is up on stilts, but not over a crawl space, it's over a completely open area. Roughly 8-10 feet of open air between the sub-floor and the ground. I've attached a photo, and you can see the wide-open subfloor behind the concrete support pillar...

Thanks!
Rob
altavista_from_below_skinny.jpg
altavista_from_below_skinny.jpg (68.07 KiB) Viewed 167 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:41 pm

I figured that must be the case .
I think adding all that insulation is likey way over kill for your area?
Let me see what Spruce says.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:06 pm

Wow, that's quite the house!

I've dealt with a similar situation. I filled with fiberglass batt insulation then sheeted with 3/8" no-groove siding. Satisfied the inspectors. Oh, I did insulate the plumbing as well.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.