Basement Insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jsnow-nl

Basement Insulation

Post by Jsnow-nl » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi Shannon, this is my first post but I’ve been enjoying your videos as I prepare to finish my basement.

I live in a 4 year old split entry in eastern Canada. My basement therefore has a 4ft knee wall and 4 ft of concrete. The knee wall is insulated and has a poly vapour barrier. The concrete is bare. I have been watching your videos and plan to use rigid foam board attached to the concrete with adhesive. Then stud the walls 4ft high, batt insulation and poly vapour barrier. How would you recommend ensuring a seal between the upper vapour barrier and the lower vapour barrier?

Another question, the floor is currently bare concrete as well. I plan to eventually install laminate flooring. What would you recommend I put between the concrete and the laminate flooring? A friend of mine laid rigid foam directly on the concrete and installed the laminate directly on the foam and it seemed to work well. What do you recommend?

Shannon

Re: Basement Insulation

Post by Shannon » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:27 pm

Welcome!
Are you leaving a ledge at the transition like is commonly seen in split levels or are you framing a wall floor to ceiling?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jsnow-nl

Post by Jsnow-nl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:04 am

Planning to leave a ledge.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:46 am

Ok so I would install foam on the concrete wall and top of ledge, frame and insulate the half wall and wrap the air/vapour barrier up over the ledge and seal it against the old air/vapour barrier on the upper wall.You can use either acoustical caulking or house wrap tape (blue if you can find it but red will work)
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Jsnow-nl

Post by Jsnow-nl » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:55 am

Perfect, thanks! What do you suggest for the floor?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Oh right!
I personally have only used Dricore panels. If you use foam you need to be sure your flooring is ok to use over foam only.