Notch Joist

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
steve-1987

Notch Joist

Post by steve-1987 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 pm

I need help for a pretty big problem I have with a joist. The owner before me notched a joist in the basement for PVC pipe and I was recomended to "sistering" the joist does that mean that I have to relocate the pipe?
here is the exact picture
notsh.jpg
notsh.jpg (82.55 KiB) Viewed 103 times

A. Spruce

Re: Notch Joist

Post by A. Spruce » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:41 pm

Unfortunately, the usefulness of that joist has been virtually eliminated by the depth and quality of that notch.

Between the horizontal pipe that the joist was notched for and the vertical pipe to the left of the clean out, how much space do you have? If there is space for a cross member between these pipes, I would be inclined to cut the compromised joist back and install a cross member between the joists on either side of the compromised joist for support. Assuming that the adjoining joists were not also compromised by excessive notching.

Another alternative would be to install a pier and support post under the compromised joist(s).
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

steve-1987

Post by steve-1987 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:50 am

Hi A. Spruce, thanks for these option
is this what you mean? And anybody know if Ontario, Canada code allows this practice

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:29 am

Yep! That's exactly what I mean. This will effectively transfer the load of the compromised joist to the adjoining joists. I would then sister what remains of the compromised joist where it has been notched. This does two things, bolsters the compromised joist end and insures a good connection to the cross support. If the space is too tight to work on the compromised end, you can install the sister piece to the joist end and the joist hanger to the cross member before it is installed
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 am

That is allowed for sure, don't forget the metal joist hangers!
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon