Page 1 of 1

Drywall compound

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:07 pm
by Jen
Hi, I'm mudding drywall in my mudroom and the first coat is done (quickset compound with tape). For the next coats I need more compound. Can anyone tell me the difference between the Certainteed "Lite all-purpose" and the "One all-purpose" compounds? Which one is the best choice?

Re: Drywall compound

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:24 pm
by A. Spruce
All purpose compounds will do both taping and topping duties, the problem with them is that they tend to dry pretty hard, which makes sanding a real chore.

"Lite" compounds usually mean that they will sand easier than regular compounds.

Personally, I prefer dedicated joint or all purpose compound for taping purposes and first coat work and dedicated topping compound for all other coats. The difference here is that joint compound is a harder drying compound that works well for holding tape and rough filling work, while topping compound is a little smoother, creamier in consistency and is very easy to sand smooth. I think that topping compound is superior in usablility and finishing than "lite" products, however, it is not always readily available at the big box.

Re: Drywall compound

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:17 pm
by Jen
Thanks for the info! I'll see what the hardware store has available :)

Re: Drywall compound

Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:56 pm
by Shannon
If it is a small job and one box or pail will do then I would stick to the lite all purpose