Installing closet doors

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
greg1

Installing closet doors

Post by greg1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:26 am

Hello house improvements friends.

I have a question about installing closet doors. I have a few of those closet openings in the house that dont have any doors. My openings are 36" and 48". the problem that I have is that some openings are slightly less at the bottom ( or top ) and wider on the other end. So my rough in dimensions for width are actually something like 35 3/4" to 36". The openings are all drywalled and nicely painted, I would hate to screw up the existing corner bead and cut out drywall to make it all the same width. Im just wondering if I buy a 36 or 48 inch wide closet door would they still fit if my openning is less than that? And even if it fits how can i make the edge to be appearing even? is there a trim moulding that I suppose to install to cover up the gap between doors and wall?

A. Spruce

Re: Installing closet doors

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 pm

What kind of door do you plan to install?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

greg1

Post by greg1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:15 pm

Probably some will be sliding and some are that are bifold.
With sliding ones I think would be harder to hide the gap if wall is uneven.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:50 pm

Sliding doors can be adjusted "crooked" to line up with the wall/opening, so no worries there. Bifold can be adjusted similarly as well, though, if the out-of-whack is severe enough, it's going to show with bifold.

Bypass/sliding doors are not feasible on openings less tan 5' wide, otherwise the doors are simply in the way and you don't have enough access to the space. IMHO, even 5' is too narrow for bypass doors, but it is the workable minimum.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:12 pm

If the bifolds are wood you can cut them to fit if they are a little tight at one end. If you install them set back a couple inches in the opening you can then add wood stops (strips ) around the perimeter to hide the gaps.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon