Small Drywall Niche

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
MindBender

Small Drywall Niche

Post by MindBender » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm

I made some small 13" x 13" x 3 1/2" (deep) niches between studs from drywall. Finished with outside corner bead and paper tape on inside corners. All was well up to this point.

When it comes to finish coat of mud, it's a super pain to run knife as handle is always hitting one side or scraping too much mud off tape on inside corners.

Any tips and tricks on how to get the mud on smoothly in a tight spot like this given the restrictions of knife movement? Is there a special bent knife for this?

A. Spruce

Re: Small Drywall Niche

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm

It will be easiest to buy a cheap knife and cut the handle off of it, that will give you a tool small enough to fit the space, yet capable of doing the job at hand. 8-)
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:36 pm

A. Spruce wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:46 pm
It will be easiest to buy a cheap knife and cut the handle off of it, that will give you a tool small enough to fit the space, yet capable of doing the job at hand. 8-)
Good idea - I do have an old knife to hand!

Is this what pros do?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:12 pm

No, a pro wouldn't make such tiny niches. :wink: :lol:

Just kidding. I would just make due with a regular knife, unless I had a whole bunch of these to do, then I'd probably modify a knife (bend or cut the handle off) to make the job go a little faster.

Keep in mind that drywall mud sands relatively easily, so the key it to get it as smooth and even as you can and fine tune it later with sanding.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 pm

The width is dictated by stud spacing - height was limited by wires etc. I would have made them bigger if I could but cutting studs seemed overkill at the time.

Next time I might try using an inside corner bead - I just feel like there must be an easier way to get quality and quick finish.

Time to cut a knife in half if no superior solution comes up.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:27 pm

Paper tape is sufficient for inside corners, I seriously doubt that a bead would aid in finishing.

Before you cut the knife, you might try bending it to see if that gives you the results you need. Bending will probably give you more control and ease of use.

The space is just too small to get good, smooth strokes, regardless of what you use to spread the mud. Make sure you cream the mud really well and thin it down just a touch so that it is easily workable, this will go a long way to helping get the finish you're looking for with minimal sanding afterwards.

MindBender

Post by MindBender » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:03 am

I just had a go at bending an old 6" knife - guess it was brittle because it snapped in half at handle. I have a 6" spreader at least :) Will give it a go tomorrow!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:23 am

Let us know how it works. 8-)

christoff

Post by christoff » Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:49 am

Go to a big box store and buy a plastic knife and cut it.