Help Hanging Interior Door

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jstrez77

Help Hanging Interior Door

Post by jstrez77 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06 am

So, got he door up. Checked the level on the jamb and it's all straight as far as I can tell. I can post pics of that too if it helps, but the door is still a bit off. Not sure what will help get it square.

The hinge side is tighter at the top and bottom. The other side is also tighter at top with most space in middle, and more space at bottom
Attachments
20190407_120434.jpg
20190407_120434.jpg (2.85 MiB) Viewed 157 times
20190407_120427.jpg
20190407_120427.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 157 times
20190407_120420.jpg
20190407_120420.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 157 times

Shannon

Re: Help Hanging Interior Door

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:50 am

Ok so first off have you watched my video?

So basic procedure is to secure the hinge side jamb plumb and straight .Use shims as needed behind all hinges ,inline with head jamb and also near the bottom of that hinge jamb near floor. I can see in picture that at the top hinge the frame is pushed tighter to the opening then the top so its not straight right now. Also before you get things too secured check that you can get head jamb to be level in opening ,I always start with frame only standing in the opening and sitting on the floor. This way you can see if you need to cut one jamb or the other to get the header level or maybe a slight shim under one will work if are installing flooring after as it will hide the gap at floor.

Once you have the hinge jamb secure,plumb and straight install the door in the frame. You can then adjust the strike side to get head jamb level. Use the hanging door as a sight gauge for alignment. You can see that the gap is equal between the door and jamb as you work at shimming and securing it.

Now at that point you may notice (like in your pictures) that the door has a tighter gap against the hinge jamb then the strike jamb. To adjust this you need to tip the hinge leaves with shims which inturn moves the hinge position and the door position . To move the door away from the hinge side jam more you loosen the hinge leaf screws and place a shim under the jamb hinge leaf . Place this shim under the leaf edge that is furthest from the door stop. For shims I use narrow strips of cardboard cut from the box that the hinges came in. Cut them about 1/4" wide and 2-1/2" to 3" long.This is dense cardboard and it has less chance of compacting anymore when you tighten it between the hinge leafing door jamb. One too two layers is usually all that is needed. Usually you will need to do this under all hinges equally.

After you get the door fitting like you want install the knob and strike plate and finally the door stops if they where not attached.

I will include a couple videos that may help you with this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ6dNxb5x_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81MhVrRalW0
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Yup, looks like a shimming and fastener location problem.

I like to shim the structural points of the door first, then more as needed to secure it into place. That means shim and screw at each hinge location and at the strike location. You will also need to secure the upper and lower portion of the strike side jamb leg, so basically, match what you did over on the hinge side.

With the hinge side set first, you then adjust the reveal across the top and strike side, the strike side getting shims as needed. It helps to keep the hinge jamb leg off the floor a bit if you can, this allows for more adjustment of the strike jamb leg to get the top reveal correct.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jstrez77

Post by jstrez77 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, I watched your video. Problem for me, is based on the level everything seems to be straight. There is some drywall hanging over in some errors so I think it looks not level on the head. I was thinking of sending you picks of the level but that seems silly. I'll try the hinge thing and see if that works

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:44 pm

The head gap looks ok, if anything the jamb leg needs to go down a bit, so the drywall isn't a problem there.

Looking more closely at your shims, you've got them right at the top corner of the jamb, bad place for them to be. Install your fastener screws just below the hinges, then rest your shim pack on top of the screw and lightly tighten it into place. By doing it this way, you can go back and loosen or tighten the shim pack as needed to adjust your jamb. Where you place your shim packs you want to make sure the drywall isn't impinging on the shim pack, as this will tweak things beyond your control.

You also need to be very careful that you keep the jamb leg perpendicular to the opening. If you twist the jamb leg it will affect how the door closes. If you hold a straight edge across the entire opening, then measure the jamb leg face in relation to it, it should remain at or very near 90*. Now, this is not a "measurement" that needs to be taken during installation, it is for demonstrative purposes in telling you not to twist a jamb leg.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:19 pm

jstrez77 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:28 pm
Thanks for the response. Yes, I watched your video. Problem for me, is based on the level everything seems to be straight. There is some drywall hanging over in some errors so I think it looks not level on the head. I was thinking of sending you picks of the level but that seems silly. I'll try the hinge thing and see if that works
Head looks ok, I don’t see any shims at the hinges? And it appears you defiantly need some. Look at the lack of gap above the top hinge between the jamb and the door . Then look below it where you have a gap. My guess is that you need to shim all the hinges over . This will also help that strike side gap.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon