Dividing wall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Camsnan

Dividing wall

Post by Camsnan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:57 pm

I have a small area that is used as a laundry area. The floor is ceramic tiled and may have heat under it. I want to change out the side-by-side washer dryer to stackable units, and use the other part, now free space, as shelf storage. I then want to have a sliding door installed to cut the noise and the view of the storage and appliances. Is it possible to construct a wall to divide this space, without drilling down into the tiles for stability? The ceiling and back wall can be used without a problem, I think. The wall would probably need a hole near the bottom to vent the dryer, just as an added quirk. How wide would the wall have to be to make sure the shelving will not collapse or pull it down? Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Shannon

Re: Dividing wall

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:24 pm

So this “wall” is a divider between the new stacking laundry set and shelves?
If I have that right then why not just use a gable? Basically a plywood panel that will still divide the areas and allow you to install cleats if you need for shelves. This can be attached to back wall and /or ceiling . It is easier then a wall and takes up less room
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Camsnan

Post by Camsnan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:10 am

Thanks for your suggestion, Shannon, especially the part that a gable will take less room as space is at a premium anyway. I am not really sure what you mean though. I thought a gable was a pitched roof, so I am having trouble picturing your idea.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:34 am

A gable in respect to cabinetry is just a panel or wall on the end of the cabinetry or shelving.
Heck for that matter maybe you need nothing more then a stand alone shelving unit that will fit the space?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Camsnan

Post by Camsnan » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:00 pm

lol, that's true! Maybe that's all I need. Cheers