Insulating recessed "boat nose" area

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
[email protected]

Insulating recessed "boat nose" area

Post by [email protected] » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:06 am

Hello all,
I have this bay window area on the first floor that sits on the foundation that's shaped like a boat nose (picture). The foundation has been insulated with 2" XPS so far. The idea is to frame a wall straight through like in the picture. This will leave an empty space behind the wall, in front of the XPS foam where the "nose" is. Should I do anything else to that area to further insulate? Just leave it?
Thanks
Luc
Attachments
Presentation1.jpg
Presentation1.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 59 times

Shannon

Re: Insulating recessed "boat nose" area

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 am

Its not super necessary IMO but depending on the depth you will want something there to keep the insulation in the framed all from falling out over time. If it s not really large a few batts of insulation standing in there would work or some wire strung along the back of the framed wall will work as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:35 am

Great. Tanks. I have some 1 x 3 strapping lying around. I could slap some on the back of the frame.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:47 pm

That would work.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon