Basement Floor and Wall Insulation Prior to Slab

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mkicki

Basement Floor and Wall Insulation Prior to Slab

Post by mkicki » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Hello, we are in the middle of building our home, currently all I have is the gravel in the basement and concrete foundation/framing done. Before I pour my slab, would like to get an idea of what is the best/most efficient option to insulate the basement. For now I bought the 2 inch rigid pink boards to lay on the gravel to install thermal heating prior to pouring the slab. I also have over 200 sheet of the .5 inch pink rigid board, should I use that on all walls as a moisture barrier as I already see 2 cracks on
the wall, thus to prevent future leaks? if so, should I use those boards all throughout the basement walls and then pour the concrete over them at the base? I was also thinking of using the 6mm plastic covering on the walls if not the .5 board. I will be finishing the basement up within a few months, haven't gotten around to see if we will do spray or rolls. The plan is to use 2x4s as the basement walls. I would like to get the best solution prior to pouring my slab. Thanks

Shannon

Re: Basement Floor and Wall Insulation Prior to Slab

Post by Shannon » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:13 pm

What do mean by “foundation/framing”?
What is your general location?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:56 am

Sorry, I meant the house is pretty much up with framing done, and all mechanicals going in as we speak. So basement is currently just foundation walls and gravel on the floor. Want to plan all of this prior to pouring the slab. Location is Chicagoland suburbs.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:24 am

yes your plans are all fine. I prefer the rigid foam on the walls as moisture barrier instead of poly because it gives you a thermal break as well. I prefer 1” foam because it gives you a better R factor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 am

Thank you Shannon, as a preference between the membrane type you would do with the rigid foam and use tape on the seams? what is the preferred way to attach the rigid board to the wall? I see minor cracks in the foundation already, that is why I want to make sure I get this all done prior to pouring the slab.

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Wed May 08, 2019 9:31 am

Also forgot to add, if I do use the .5 inch rigid foam as the barrier, in the future I can always spray closed cell to add more R value or any bat correct?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed May 08, 2019 5:13 pm

yes if you are using the 1/2" foam tape the seams if you use something thicker with shiplap edges taping is not usually needed. Yes you can and should insulate more once the basement is framed.With 1/2" foam you can use some foam adhesive and the odd 1-1/2" Tapcon masonry screw with a larger washer on the head. Drill a hole and screw in the odd Tapcon to hold things in place.
Usually a moisture barrier is not really needed until you frame and finish the basement. It will not keep moisture out it only directs moisture to the floor instead of into the wall cavity and insulation. It is also really just for moisture due to frost or slight wicking through the concrete it is not meant to fix leaky basements . You should also have a proper water proofing installed on the exterior below grade and weeping tile to manage water.

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Thu May 09, 2019 9:35 am

My only concern is that I have this stuff https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Corni ... /100320356

which I bought for exterior insulation prior to brick, which I don't need anymore, and was thinking of using it on the basement walls, reading through their site, I don't know if this can be used below grade, although it does looks like the 2 inch board that I used on the outside of the foundation below grade prior to back fill. My plan is to finish the basement within 6 months of completing the rest of the home, and will be laying 2 inch rigid foam under the slab with radiant heat installed as well. So you think just the .5 inch board won't be enough for any future water leaks, even if I install it on the wall all the way to the footing and the concrete slab will cover the board like 4 inches on the sides of each wall. I want to put all of this on prior to pour so that between the foundation wall and slab I have that 1/2 board, good idea?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu May 09, 2019 7:52 pm

Oh it will for sure direct water down under the slab, I'm just saying that interior moisture barriers are not meant to be depended on to stop water penetration , exterior water proofing is a must. So i hope that you did that under your 2" foam?

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Fri May 10, 2019 7:24 am

Yes the contractor did some dampproofing black spray prior to the 2 inch board, but as an extra layer of protection, I want to do something from the inside as well cause who knows how long that black stuff will last.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 10, 2019 8:36 pm

What you wanna do will work

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 pm

Shannon, I know it has be quite some time and I am getting around to do this, I did lay the 2 inch rigid foam so far on the gravel, I didn't think much to put the poly foil under the foam, which I will go back and lay it instead of on top of the foam. As to the side walls, so you think the 1" rigid pink board will be enough to serve as vapor barrier? Once the basement walls are framed out we will most likely do closed cell as well to add the the R Value. We are in Chicago land. For the side walls using the 1" boards, I am thinking of using an adhesive versus any anchors, any thoughts?

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Also with radiant heat in plans, forgetting the 6 mn polumy foil under the 2 inch foam is a no no? Or can I lay foil on top of the 2 inch prior to tubing?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 am

So 1” foam will not allow you to skip the air/vapour barrier but in most areas 2” of closed cell foam will allow you to skip air/vapour barrier. Check with local codes on that.
Attaching foam with glue only is a bit of a pain but doable.

As for the foil I believe it is generally under the foam so it does not get torn? Not sure ,check manufactures recommendations.