Dividing Wall Question

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
rcosta

Dividing Wall Question

Post by rcosta » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:11 pm

Hi,
I am going to construct a dividing wall for my in-laws. Referencing the attached pictures, I was hoping to attach the bottom plate to the right of the carpet. But looking towards the stairs, there would not be room for the sheetrock. It seems my two options are to cut off the lip of that bottom stair or cut back the carpet and move the bottom plate to the left. There is concrete below.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts? Thank you.

Rich
Attachments
IMG_1919.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 159 times
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1918.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 159 times

Shannon

Re: Dividing Wall Question

Post by Shannon » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:43 pm

Honestly either way would work. Not sure there is a right or wrong way between the two.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:04 pm

I would agree, whichever way you like better will be fine. You could even notch the plate around the stair and put a stud in front of and attached to the corner of the wall and then notch the drywall around the stair. While this will make changing the carpet on the stairs a PITA later, it will give you a better finished look.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Thanks for both replies. I am not sure what you mean by notch the drywall around the stair. Do you mean cutting a notch in the sheetrock for the stair to go into?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:42 pm

Here's what I mean.

A 2x4 vertical on the wall at the corner. Your plate 2x4 will be notched around the step and a stud will be placed directly in front of the step. This gets your framing along the carpet edge on the floor and gives you a nice line vertically. When you install the drywall on the step side, you will notch the drywall around the step and carpet so that it fits snugly, or leave a slight gap and cover with trim.
-
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1918.jpg (376.38 KiB) Viewed 148 times

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:22 am

Got it. I think that is the option I am going to go with. There is the potential that this wall will only be there for a few years, so if I can avoid ripping carpet, all the better.

Thanks for the time with the drawings. It helped a lot.

Have a great Sunday.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:38 am

When you attach the 2x4 to the wall, don't forget to leave it set back 1/2" from the corner so that the drywall will be flush with the face of the mating wall.