baseboards in floating walls

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
AlexinCo

baseboards in floating walls

Post by AlexinCo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi. I'm in Colorado. I've installed floating walls in my basement. How should I install my baseboards? The living room area has vinyl flooring, bathroom has tile flooring, and rest of basement (2 bedrooms & hallway will be carpeted). I'm unable to find videos on baseboard installation in Colorado homes. Please help. Thank you.

Shannon

Re: baseboards in floating walls

Post by Shannon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:27 pm

On floating walls I install baseboards attached to the bottom plate only so that the upper wall can move. So I generally use 1/2" plywood strips on the bottom plate to get the width the same as the wall above it with drywall. Then I use a taller baseboard to hide the movement gap and nail it mainly to the bottom plate. You may find you need the odd finishing nail in the upper arm to get it to sit nice against the drywall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AlexinCo

Post by AlexinCo » Fri May 03, 2019 1:29 am

Thank you Sir, I have .5inch - 1inch gap between concrete & drywall. Is there a minimum gap that I should have? I am using 5.25 inch baseboards. I was thinking of not using the 1/2 inch plywood strips and attaching to wall bottom plate & studs. If not I guess I’ll have to trim all my walls to allow 1/2” plywood strips. Thank you.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri May 03, 2019 7:01 am

The gap really depends on your local conditions but I would generally say 1" is what you want min. for a space between your plates and then I leave the drywall just short of the bottom of wall plate and a strip of plywood 1-1/2" wide on floor plate. If you nail the baseboard to the actual wall it will generally get messed up if or when the floor does move . I recommend you attach the baseboard mainly to the floor plate and just a few nails along the top area to keep it sitting nice against the wall.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

AlexinCo

Post by AlexinCo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:56 am

Sounds like good advice. I’m going to trim wall and use 1/2 plywood strips. Thank you👍