Insulating cellar under front porch. Any do’s or don’ts?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
travishauch

Insulating cellar under front porch. Any do’s or don’ts?

Post by travishauch » Tue May 14, 2019 4:23 pm

Basement is almost done! You guys helped me so much and I cannot thank you enough! Last minute idea to finish off this 4’x5’ cellar under my front porch that is doored off from the rest of the basement. I just waterproofed the cinder blocks and debating on how to insulate/barrier/frame it. There is no heat/ac to it obviously. I ran wire in there for a light fixture when doing the basement. I live in northeastern Wisconsin and want to make sure I do this properly with our temperature swings. In the basement I did 2” xps, 2x4 walls with r13 batts, no poly.

How would you recommend I finish this off? I basically want to use this for toy storage, tote storage, etc. I don’t want to have any mold issues or anything potentially like that especially with child’s toys.

Thanks much!
Last edited by travishauch on Tue May 14, 2019 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badali

Re: Insulating cellar under front porch. Any do’s or don’ts?

Post by badali » Tue May 14, 2019 6:05 pm

I will let one of the pros like Shannon provide the suggestion but my celllar was insulated by the previous owner and I found some moisture damage and spots of mold on the bottom plates after opening the drywall. Take care with untreated wood especially if the humidity of that room is high.

In my case the insulation was also pretty ineffective because there is no supply or return air in the cellar. My cellar has a window so there is lots of heat loss regardless of what's on the walls. The ceiling is also cold because I have a porch above the cellar.

Shannon

Re: Insulating cellar under front porch. Any do’s or don’ts?

Post by Shannon » Tue May 14, 2019 6:42 pm

Insulated as you did the other areas but be sure there is some ventilation if there is no heating or return air. Louvred doors could be an option
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon