Insulate garage ceiling

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mrainka

Insulate garage ceiling

Post by mrainka » Sun May 26, 2019 9:20 am

How do I insulate my new garage ceiling? Do I simply friction fit the fiberglass between my 24” ceiling joists and then put vapour barrier? Do I need something to hold the insulation up until I get the poly in place? Thanks

Nick M.

Re: Insulate garage ceiling

Post by Nick M. » Sun May 26, 2019 9:31 am

The joists should be 24 inches on center, so the void is 22 1/2 inches. So yes, the insulation should stay up there on it's own until u apply the poly.

Or u could get faced insulation with the vapor barrier attached to the insulation and staple the paper barrier to the joists and forgo the poly.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun May 26, 2019 10:27 am

I doubt that either friction fit or poly will keep the insulation in place long term, it's going to start sagging without drywall or some other method of holding it all up there, in which case, friction fit is fine, poly is fine, cover with drywall immediately and you're golden.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

mrainka

Post by mrainka » Sun May 26, 2019 11:07 am

Yes my intention is to cover with drywall right after. Thanks. Do I need to use insulation stops? The OSB comes up above the the top plate about 3 inches so the insulation won’t block the soffits.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun May 26, 2019 3:21 pm

To my knowledge, you really only need insulation stops with blown insulation.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 27, 2019 7:31 am

if you have trouble with the insulation not fitting good enough to stay up you can hang your poly sheeting as you go. What I mean is hang the poly around 4 ' at a time and then slip the batts in place, hang another 4' poly and install another row of batts , and so on. Not sure where you live but if you are in cold area and you wanna heat the garage one layer of batt insulation will not be enough. Most people around here will blow in at least r40 -50 of insulation.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mrainka

Post by mrainka » Mon May 27, 2019 8:34 am

Manitoba , so damn cold! I only want to heat the garage occasionally to work on stuff.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon May 27, 2019 7:49 pm

Well its up to you how much to add. You could also add a second layer laying perpendicular to the first. That will help a lot with heat loss trough the ceiling joists (bottom cord of rafters) .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon