How easy to raise lowered ceiling in hallway?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
ezpz

How easy to raise lowered ceiling in hallway?

Post by ezpz » Tue May 28, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi there,

we just bought a house that is in need of some renovation.
It has lowered ceilings in kitchen, entry area and hallway. I'm 6'6" so naturally I'd be much happier with those ceilings being raised so that they're flush with all the other ceilings.

How difficult is it to raise those lowered ceilings to "normal" height? We moved to the US 4 years ago and I've lived in european houses my entire life where even the interior walls are concrete walls. So I have no idea how easy or difficult that is...

A. Spruce

Re: How easy to raise lowered ceiling in hallway?

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 28, 2019 7:32 pm

It would take a trip up into the attic to assess what is up there. It could be as simple as pulling down the lowered ceiling and repair or replace the true ceiling above it. Or, this could be the actual ceiling with no framing above it, or worse, trusses, which can't be altered.

So, without knowing what's going on and how it was lowered, we can't say if it would be an easy job or not. Can you possibly add some pix from the attic?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

ezpz

Post by ezpz » Tue May 28, 2019 9:40 pm

Thank you for your answer. Luckily the trusses span from exterior wall to exterior wall, so the interior walls aren't load bearing and the higher ceilings are directly attached to the trusses.

You raised an interesting point there. I have a feeling that due to the ac ducts above the lowered ceilings there may not be "normal height" ceilings above that. I'm out of town tomorrow but I'll take a look and take a few photos when I'm back.

Thanks for your help!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue May 28, 2019 9:44 pm

That's another problem, what's between the lowered ceiling and the actual ceiling and how hard will it be to relocate it? It's possible that the lower ceiling was installed to accommodate ducting and electrical work, if this is the case, then is there space in the attic to relocate it?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.