Stair Tread for Carpet

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Futrell

Stair Tread for Carpet

Post by Futrell » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:04 pm

Hello, I was wondering when framing stairs that you know will have carpet on them, should you just go with 3/4 plywood and flush the tread with the riser? In the past I used stair treads with a bullnose front and let them over hang the riser a little, but they were later stained. In this case, I wasn’t sure if the bullnose would make it more difficult for the carpet installer or not. Also, if I do flush the tread, would it be better to angle the riser at about 1.5” from the top to the bottom to make it a little easier to walk up? As opposed to the common 90 degree angle on most risers.

Shannon

Re: Stair Tread for Carpet

Post by Shannon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:43 pm

You still want the bull nose , it looks better and the carpet installer will supply wrap around it and staple the carpet up into the bottom corner
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

VanTry2DIY

Re: Stair Tread for Carpet

Post by VanTry2DIY » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:21 am

Our house's stairs came carpeted with no noses and are very slippery. In doing some research on our plans to replace the carpet with hardwood, I found accidents are significantly less likely on stairs with noses up to a little over 1/2". So in addition to looking better as Shannon mentioned, the bull noses will make your stairs safer.