Basement insulation placement

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
msceviour

Basement insulation placement

Post by msceviour » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Hi;

I'm replacing the old windows in my basement. I have removed the facings and box built for the interior of the window. I noticed that there is a gap between the framed wall and exterior wall of the basement, but no insulation between the framed wall and the exterior wall. Should there be insulation here? The exterior wall has insulation and vapour barrier and there is insulation between the framed wall and basement below grade.

Shannon

Re: Basement insulation placement

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:50 am

So it sounds like you have a bi level home where there is maybe 4' of concrete basement wall on the ground and then another 4 feet of wood basement wall built on top? Then on the interior it has been framed with one continuous wall floor to ceiling to hide the fact that there would be a ledge?
I will assume this is what you have for now. You have found that the upper section of interior wall is not insulated and that is kind normal. It can be insulated but the poly vapour barrier needs to be removed and installed on the "warm " side of the wall right under the drywall if you change things.
Let me know if I have all that right.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon