Trouble with uneven window trim

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jstrez77

Trouble with uneven window trim

Post by jstrez77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:16 pm

Hoping for some ideas. I have a replacement window in, but it has a gap between the old frame and the new window, so I was adding some small pieces of wood in the gap. Problem, is the window is a little uneven and there is a head expander pushing out the wood.

Here are some pics. First shows the window is uneven, next three just show the top of the wood sticking out. I did try using a jigsaw to cut a little notch out of the top around the head expander, but because the window is a little uneven the bottom part of the wood is not even with the frame
new1.png
new1.png (713.11 KiB) Viewed 164 times
new2.png
new2.png (521.29 KiB) Viewed 164 times
new3.png
new3.png (408.84 KiB) Viewed 164 times
new4.png
new4.png (294.34 KiB) Viewed 164 times

A. Spruce

Re: Trouble with uneven window trim

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:05 pm

You need a piece of wood that is wider than the widest point you're trying to fill. Notch the top until you get a perfect fit along the window frame and header expander, then hold the piece in place and scribe it to the wall surface. Cut slightly wide of this line, then use a belt sander to take it down smooth and flush with the wall surface. Work carefully with your was and sander so that you're left with a smooth edge on which to apply your window wrap trim.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jstrez77

Post by jstrez77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:16 pm

I scribed the wood. Being an angle cut on a small piece of wood, is that a table saw type of thing?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:30 pm

It's hard to do long angled cuts on a tablesaw, I've seen a few guys freehand them, but frankly, that terrifies me! I would opt for a circular saw, clamp the piece down and make the cut. It will probably take several clamps and several attempts, you won't be able to make a single cut. Just go slow and careful so that you don't dig the blade into the good side of the cut. Then sand it smooth. Also, if you can work from a much larger piece, like a 1x8 or larger, you can make your notch, then scribe and cut the piece in one go. Clean up the edge and do it again.

Another option, if you've got a trim router, would be to install the piece and then trim it with the router.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:26 am

I would use a table saw free hand but it is defiantly for the experienced user IMO. Another option is to scribe it out and then use a wider piece of plywood or something 6-12 inches wide as a guild. Tack the two pieces together with a couple brad nails aligning one edge of the wider piece to the scribe line on the trim piece( keep the nails back from the edge). You then run the other edge of the wide piece against the fence of the saw and this will allow you to follow that line because the edges of the wide piece are parallel to each other. Basically the wide piece becomes a straight edge guild.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon