Paint or trim

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
rcosta

Paint or trim

Post by rcosta » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:38 am

Hi,

It seems this might be an age old question, but I value the feedback on this forum so ........

Prime and paint the sheetrock first or install the primed trim first?

Thanks as always.

Rich

A. Spruce

Re: Paint or trim

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:18 am

I've always done trim first, then the painting. In most cases, I caulk the trim to the wall, which will necessitate going back and cutting in both the wall and the trim anyway.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:42 pm

Ive always done it the other way. I like to paint walls first , two coat trim, then install trim and fill ,then paint again. If you caulk the trim to the wall then you will need to cut in wall color again anyways so in that case just 1st coat walls before adding trim.
Either way you get the result you need.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

rcosta

Post by rcosta » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks to both of you. I will probably paint the walls first. The trim is primed so I will paint it first.

Shannon I just watched your videos on baseboard and door trim. I don't think I can buy a nail gun now. I have some trim nails already but I see trim hammers. Is there a great difference between a general use hammer and a trim hammer?

Thank you.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 pm

You don't need a trim hammer, a lighter weight hammer will suffice. You will need a nail set though. Drive the nail to within 1/8" or so of the surface, then use a nail set to drive it home.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 am

Yup agreed, use the hammer you have and set the nail to below the surface after.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon