XPS on uneven basement walls.

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
TomK

XPS on uneven basement walls.

Post by TomK » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 am

Hey All,

If I encounter uneven basement walls, such as these:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1amZXX ... rVlmdY-EMt

1) I'm thinking it's better to place the XPS against the concrete then set the 2x4's straight as in the image. However, that will leave a gap between the 2x4's and the XPS up to 1 inch in some places.

2) Framing right against the wall will leave an uneven wall later on, so I don't see that as an option.

I'm going with 1) to minimize the air space between the concrete and the XPS however need to ask should I bother to fill in the space between the 2x4's and the XPS with thin strips of wood or another material?

The reason, why I ask, is that blocking is installed midway to prevent the studs from a) warping and b) prevent the spread of fires.

If I have a 1" gap between the 2x4's and the XPS, it certainly defeats the second purpose, b), since there's now a 1" gap between the XPS and the 2x4's.

Wondering about your thoughts on this.

Thx,
TK

Shannon

Re: XPS on uneven basement walls.

Post by Shannon » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm

When working with non straight walls it is pretty tough to have it ideal.

In most cases you are fine with things like you have in the diagram.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

TomK

Re: XPS on uneven basement walls.

Post by TomK » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:04 pm

Thanks Shannon. Appreciated!