Hardwood installation - Nails came through basement ceiling

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
vvasireddy9

Hardwood installation - Nails came through basement ceiling

Post by vvasireddy9 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:49 pm

Hello

I hired a hardwood company to install in my house, it is not finished yet but the wood is completely Installed. Today I noticed that the nails came through the basement ceiling. I will attach a picture.

The installer said that is fine because 2" nails are needed. I am trying to know if nails visible in basement ceiling is common and acceptable or if the installer didn't do it right way. Please let me know your feedback. Thanks!

A. Spruce

Re: Hardwood installation - Nails came through basement ceiling

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:36 pm

I will refrain from calling your installer an idiot until I see the pix.

Reality is, the fastener length is determined by the thickness of the material and what it has to penetrate before it gets to solid purchase. For instance, 1/2" baseboard over 1/2" drywall into framing needs a 1-1/2" to 2" nail. Basically, you want as much fastener into solid purchase as you do thickness of material being attached.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

vvasireddy9

Post by vvasireddy9 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:59 pm

I have attached pictures. Thank you
Attachments
IMG_20190714_160206480_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
IMG_20190714_160206480_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg (225.99 KiB) Viewed 128 times

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:17 pm

While the fasteners that the installer used are a little bit long, they are not out of line. What you neglected to mention is that this is an unfinished ceiling, so you can't really get mad at the fact there are fasteners poking through, especially when there is exposed plumbing and electrical as well. Now, had this been a tongue and groove deck that was part of the finished space, then I could understand you having words to say about the fasteners poking through.

IMHO, you do not have a finished ceiling, so the fasteners poking through are the least of your worries. Finish the hardwood project, then move on to finishing the basement ceiling properly, you will no longer be able to see the staples, electrical, or plumbing and have a nice ceiling to enjoy.

Invest777

Post by Invest777 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:29 am

I think I'll have to agree with Spruce

vvasireddy9

Post by vvasireddy9 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:32 am

Thanks for the responses. Appreciate your time.

The basement is actually a finished basement but there is a small space with boiler and electric panel which is the only place we can see the plywood. That's where I saw the nails came through. It doesn't bother me much but I was worried if those nails hit any plumbing or electricals. I don't think there is anything I can do now. please advice if there is anything we could do to make it look less visible or should I leave it alone?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:12 am

Actually industry standard is 2” fasteners for hardwood floors, intact I don’t think I’ve seen fasteners shorter then that for my flooring stapler
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:42 am

vvasireddy9 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:32 am
Thanks for the responses. Appreciate your time.

The basement is actually a finished basement but there is a small space with boiler and electric panel which is the only place we can see the plywood. That's where I saw the nails came through. It doesn't bother me much but I was worried if those nails hit any plumbing or electricals. I don't think there is anything I can do now. please advice if there is anything we could do to make it look less visible or should I leave it alone?
Nothing should be run tight against the floor, so odds are everything is fine. The only way to be certain is a visual inspection of the entire area under the floor.