XPS vs EPS

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jsnow-nl

XPS vs EPS

Post by Jsnow-nl » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:05 pm

Hi Shannon,

Just wondering your opinion on using XPS vs EPS on the interior of a concrete basement 4ft below grade in eastern Canada. Planning to use it directly on concrete, with wooden studs fibreglass batt insulation between studs.
R-value aside (XPS typically R5/inch and EPS typically 3.75/inch), there appears to be a popular belief that XPS is a superior product, mainly due to less moisture absorption. However, there seems to be recent studies that suggest EPS is a much better option than traditionally thought. The reason for this seems to be while EPS does absorb more moisture than XPS, it has a greater ability to expel this moisture. One study I read determined that over a 15 year period, EPS also maintained its R value better than XPS.

What is your experience with each and do you feel EPS is more suitable/near equivalent than XPS in this or any application? It is difficult to know how to believe in this digital age as the majority of support for either side seems to come from their respective manufacturers pumping their own tires.

Shannon

Re: XPS vs EPS

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:19 pm

I can only Speak of my experience and that has been to use XPS. In all honesty I don’t think you can go wrong either way.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:59 pm

I don't have experience with them to offer an opinion.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Jsnow-nl

Post by Jsnow-nl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:04 am

Oh ok. Just a little skeptical given EPS is only about 30% of the price of XPS.