framing around beam

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
oxide

framing around beam

Post by oxide » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:21 pm

good day folks,
i just had a question in regards to framing around/beside/under a beam. whats best or what is the correct way. one side does have piping for the a/c and the other ducting which can be boxed but since i am putting a wall between each side where should it go?
thanks

here's a picture to help

Shannon

Re: framing around beam

Post by Shannon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

I'm not sure what you meant by "I'm putting a wall between each side where should it go". You are putting a wall between each side of what?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:08 pm

sorry, under that long beam in the middle of the picture where the ducting is on the right and the a/c lines & gas line on on the left.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:32 am

Ok thanks for the clarification. I can't exactly see how things line up at the wall beside the stairs but if it would work I would place that wall actually under the duct so that the drywall would just clear the ducting and avoid a bulkhead on that side. This would keep one bulkhead only on the other side of the wall covering the beam and the pipes. If you have enough clearance under that beam I would frame in the bulkhead by running the horizontal members under the beam and protruding out enough on each side to cover both obstacles . On the duct side i would then build my wall under it . Then on the pipe side add in vertical framing to finish the bulkhead. If that does not work out for the look you want then bulkhead out the pipes and duct work completely and place the wall anywhere under it that you like. Hope that helps.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

oxide

Post by oxide » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:18 pm

it does, thank you for your help