Framing under an I Beam

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
TomK

Framing under an I Beam

Post by TomK » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 pm

Hi All,

I've got an I-Beam going through the middle of my basement. Want to put a wall below it so the round steel posts supporting it are incorporated into the wall.

What should I use to attach the 2x4's to the I-Beam or should I even do that? What's the alternative if I didn't want to drill and attach to the I-Beam?

I prefer not to alter the I-Beam in any way if I can help it.

Thx,
TK

A. Spruce

Re: Framing under an I Beam

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:15 pm

can you post a pic and dimensions of the beam and posts?

I've had times when I needed to frame in around steel trusses and not want to attach to or modify them to do so. With some creative encapsulation, you can get a grip on the beam and finish it off without actually attaching fasteners into it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 pm

Use construction adhesive to glue a plate to bottom of beam
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:43 pm

Shannon wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:36 pm
Use construction adhesive to glue a plate to bottom of beam
That's cheating! ;) :lol:

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:49 am

Check out the Caddy Clip Catalog they have many clips for attaching to steel beams.

TomK

Post by TomK » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:54 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qBTSR ... 13EPci2Nwr
https://drive.google.com/open?id=19zang ... ckTPYxGQ-n
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HlBpo ... 4mqjsVasD0

Concrete floor to bottom of IBeam: 80 1/4"
Width: 5 3/8"
Height: 8 1/8"
Edge of IBeam to middle: 2 1/2"

Visual Aid: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1efSMp ... 4xUF-2NY3E

Could you please elaborate a bit on the adhesive? In particular about the adhesive.

Also, need help to visualizing how the caddy clips would hold the 2x4's ( or perhaps 2x6's ) to the IBeam.

Was going to attach the wall to the box that will drop from the ceiling enclosing the duct and IBeam but don't feel that is structurally correct even with vertical 2x4's attaching the box to the joists above.

Need a door under this beam as well. :)

Thx,
TK

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:35 pm

Do you want to box in the beam and drywall? What about the ducting?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:07 am

So I would use a construction adhesive like “PL Premium” apply it to the lumber that will be your top plate , hold the plate up to the bottom of the beam and use clamps to hold it in place over night. This will be easiest and you can then frame the wall below the new plate . I would also frame the wall first and then attach the bulkhead for the duct work to the wall. Electrical and drywall can be installed after that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DanM

Post by DanM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:03 pm

If you can borrow or rent a ramset I would do basically what Shannon said but also throw some ramset nails in every 4ft or so. You can ramset to the bottom flange of the beam no problem, just don't put any nails where the vertical part of the I-beam is (since that's thicker your nails will mess up and bend).

TomK

Post by TomK » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:57 pm

I'll basically do what Shannon mentions and I'll frame the ducts and beam under one large box.

Was thinking of actually getting in a drop ceiling under the ducts and up to the IBeam for easy access. Small chance I'll go down that route, however. I may simply pop in a few access panels the length of the space between the IBeam and the duct for such access.

Thx,
TK

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:35 am

You can always cut in small accesses at the time if you ever need them. This way if you don’t you have a nice clean finish.