ICF basement walls

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Miser62

ICF basement walls

Post by Miser62 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 pm

I am getting ready to finish my basement in central MN but have many questions about working with ICF.
I thought I would get all the walls up for the utility, bath, great room, and bedrooms. And put electrical conduit in for all the rooms and pex for the bath and potentially hydronic heat for the basement as well as for the hot water. I have finished the concrete floor with epoxy coating so any options for heating would exclude floor heating ideas. The finished upstairs uses an electric furnace with ductwork attached to the basement ceiling. Sound carries up and downstairs as a result of the ductwork. To dampen the sound I thought I would put one or two layers of gypsum on a lowered ceiling, and utilize a propane hydronic baseboard heating system in the basement only.
1) for the ICF walls, should there be a plastic vapor barrier? Or is it ok as is?
2) for the electrical conduit, should I cut runs thru the ICF or put in stud walls up against the ICF and run the lines thru the studs?
3) I plan to cover the ICF with Gypsum, and when installing a corner bathtub and shower, should I put the gypsum on the ICF then overlap the lip on the tub with 1/4 waterproof wall board to the ceiling over the gypsum? Or should I attach it directly to the ICF or studs (if I build a wall) then use the 1/4 inch waterproof wallboard? Or is there a better alternative?
4) the 2” drain lines are preinstalled under the concrete floor in two one foot square holes. When I connect the pee traps and attach the tub and shower, is the hole supposed to be filled in or left as is?
I have more questions but this is probably a good start. I look forward to some recommendations.
Mark

Shannon

Re: ICF basement walls

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:59 pm

I am not super familiar with ICF basements but do know some .
If you are applying drywall directly to the ICF as the finish walls electrical is generally run after foam channels have been cut in the foam and wires laid in, shallow boxes are used and fastened to the exposed concrete . A few blobs of hot glue would attach the wire to the exposed concrete. Wires are generally run horizontally in the joists and straight runs down walls to each plug or switch and back up into ceiling. You could sprayfoam the channels over once the wiring is run and trim off flush again but Not sure that is done much.

You for sure can frame traditional walls inside the ICF basement and run all wires and plumbing traditionally if you like and if you do I would add more insulation.

As far as I know most areas would not require poly vapour barrier over the foam before drywall.

I would install the pan against the foam and then use what ever product you want over it on the walls.

The P trap drain locations of the floor do not generally get concreted under bath tubs but depending on the requirements of your shower pan you may need to fill that before install. BTW the P traps for tubs and showers should already be installed under the gravel. Just attach the drains to the 2" pipe protruding up. Sinks and laundry will need P traps like normal above the floor.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Miser62

Post by Miser62 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you Shannon.
I built a lakeside deck 43 ft long by 14 ft wide and ten feet above a patio deck in 2016. Couldn’t have done it without watching your tutorial and getting the timber sized right for the height on decks.com. I was surprised to find out that height made a big difference on the size of the support piers. Decks.com had a user friendly calculator for that purpose. It is the only deck I have ever built and took me a little over a month to complete, but I get lots of compliments on it. Thanks for all your tutorials. I will definitely use the url link when purchasing from amazon.com.
Mark

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Glad we can help
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon