Prehung side garage door new install

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jdwellman

Prehung side garage door new install

Post by jdwellman » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Hello,
I am preparing to install a 3-0 side SH door in my existing garage built 5 years ago. The problem is the foundation footing or stem wall is about 6" proud above the garage floor. Can you tell me how I can remove this concrete so I can install the door, a threshold and not be required to step over this short piece of concrete every time I enter or exit the garage?
Thank you very much,
Jim Wellman
Sun City, AZ.

A. Spruce

Re: Prehung side garage door new install

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:03 pm

The stem wall will need to be cut. A professional concrete cutting service will have that ability to do make nice, clean cuts.

Alternatively, you could do it yourself with an angle grinder and diamond wheel, but it's going to be messy, labor intensive, and the resulting surface will not be fun to set a door over.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Re: Prehung side garage door new install

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:02 pm

Yup cut the opening needed from both side of the wall with either a grinder or gas saw fitted with a concrete blade. You will then have to breaking chip it away with a small jack hammer and clean it up as well as possible.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon