Pressure treated wood foundation insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Traviscronin

Pressure treated wood foundation insulation

Post by Traviscronin » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 pm

[attachment=0]Screenshot_20190728-192022_Drive.jpg[/attachment]

So pressure treated wood foundation of an older home. I'm removing the current pink fiber glass insulation that had vapour barrier and went the whole way down.

So last couple feet obviously a bit if moisture and the fiberglass insulation is sticking. So not an incredible amount of moisture but it's there.

So these are my two options.

Option 1 I lose on r - value but get more airflow to avoid mold and moisture.

Option 2 I get my full r - value but the vapour barrier looks like its going to be a headache to install and no plastic to the bottom.

What do you think is the best option

I live in northern BC Canada. Cold winter temperatures of -40 and warm summers of 30. This year it's been pretty wet and I'm noticing some silty sand in behind some of the insulation but not lots.

Thoughts
Attachments
Screenshot_20190728-192022_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20190728-192022_Drive.jpg (138.45 KiB) Viewed 139 times

Shannon

Re: Pressure treated wood foundation insulation

Post by Shannon » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:43 pm

Are these wall systems from a local (to you) code adaption? I have not seen those systems. Here is Sask. Typically a vapour barrier is required on walls above or below ground and and sealed completely . Wood foundation walls would be fully insulated with no air space. If moisture in bottom of wall is an issue then I would use 2” -6 “ or rigid foam in bottom of wall cavity.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Traviscronin

Post by Traviscronin » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:42 am

No after reading your reply I checked where this is for. It's an American wood council pdf I found online.

Where would I find something that applies to me. ?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Your local city /municipal building permit office should have info.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon