Order of drywall taping

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Brent85

Order of drywall taping

Post by Brent85 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:17 am

Hello everyone,

I have replaced the drywall in my basement and have several "scenarios" of intersecting areas to tape: 1) corners and horizontal butted joints, 2) corners and horizontal tapered joints, and 3) horizontal and vertical joints. For those with taping/mud experience, what is the recommended order of steps for taping and mudding these intersections? For example, if a horizontal tapered joint meets a corner, does the tape meet at a straight edge or an angled shape, and which section of tape gets the first coat of each layer of mud? Any help would be appreciated, especially a good web or book reference. Thank you in advance!

-Brent

A. Spruce

Re: Order of drywall taping

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:06 pm

It makes absolutely no difference whether you do the flat work first or the corners first. I tend to do corners first because they're more time consuming, also, if the corner is still a little wet, you can flat tape a joint out of it without too much drama. Because corners take longer to do, by the time you get them all done, the first one is probably getting pretty set/dry, so flat taping out of it shouldn't be a problem. I also tend to use fiber tape on flat work because it is self stick, so I apply fiber tape to all the flat, then paper tape all the corners. This prevents having to mess with corner mudding to apply flat tape, which means you can work out of a wet corner a lot more easily as well.

Again, it makes no difference, it's whatever works best for you.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:01 pm

I generally tape in this order. Butt joints, bevel joints, inside corners, outside corners. I find this order keeps my intersecting points from building up more then needed where tapes lap.
After that I do one side of inside corners and any flats on the opposite side . I will continue to coat those flats (I generally can coat twice a day on flats) the amount of mud used to fill an inside corner usually takes at least 1 full day or 1.5 days per side to dry enough that you can fill the second side. So generally after 2 days I can have the first flats done and can then do the other side of the inside corners . And since those are wet I will do the opposite flats. While doing all that I will also do any outside corners I can without messing up areas “under construction “ .
This all being said you will figure it out based on the amount of mudding you need to do and your speed.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Brent85

Post by Brent85 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:30 am

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your help! A few follow-up questions:
1. Do you have use for mesh tape? I read in a drywall guide that mesh is good for butt joints (which are more prone to cracking), whereas paper tape is better suited for bevel joints and inside corners.
2. Where you have intersecting joints, do you overlap the paper, have it meet edge to edge, or have it meet at an angle or dove tail?

If you have how-to videos on handling intersecting joints, or the sequence of joints meeting corners, I would find them very helpful.

Thanks again,
Brent85

Clarence

Post by Clarence » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:47 am

You need to read up on this article. Matching Joint Compound with the Proper Tape.
" It is NOT recommended to use drying compounds with FIBERGLASS Joint Tape "

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 pm

Fiberglass tape is popular because it's easier to use than paper, however, paper tape is the better product for everything, both flats and corners.

It is ok for tape to overlap at intersecting joints. Most of the time, this will happen where the tapered edges of the drywall meet at edges/butts, so it isn't an issue, but it can happen with flat work too. Obviously, multiple layers of tape will require a little more mud and effort to float out to a smooth look and feel, but it is easy enough to do, so I don't worry about overlapping tape.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:08 pm

Ya i much prefer paper and yes you can lap joints. Don't have to get to fancy just lap them and get them flat.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon