Installing LVP Flooring in Kitchen

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
npautler

Installing LVP Flooring in Kitchen

Post by npautler » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:54 am

Remodeling our home and we are going to install LVP flooring in the kitchen (loose lay - 8mm thick I believe). Do you recommend installing this under the cabinets as well or just up to the cabinets (i.e. after they've been install). Assuming it's okay to install after the cabinets are installed, should we shim the cabinets up a bit to accommodate the height difference or does the 8mm not really make a difference? Any advice would be appreciated!

Shannon

Re: Installing LVP Flooring in Kitchen

Post by Shannon » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:05 pm

Install the cabinets first and flooring after. But leave off kick panels until flooring is installed. The 8MM is not going to be noticeable but you could raise them if you wanted, I don't think its worth the hassle.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

npautler

Post by npautler » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:04 am

Thanks Shannon. Quick follow-up to another post. So our 1960’s home currently has a vinyl sheet flooring in the kitchen (probably from the 80’s). I pulled up it up at the transition strip to see what was under that and...(drum roll) it is yet another layer of older vinyl sheet flooring. Obviously we’re worried about asbestos when demoing. We have a two year old in the house (that will be staying at grandmas during the worst of the demo).

How would you recommend installing our LVP? Would you remove either layer of vinyl sheets? Or lay the LVP on top of both? Or something else entirely? It’s difficult to tell without disturbing it, but it appears to be glued to the sub floor (i.e no underlayment). Should we attempt to pull up the subfloor or whatever underlayment there maybe and replace that?

We’ve already ordered the supply to run negative air in the small area we’re working in (e.g. 6mm plastic sheeting, respirators ,hepa air blower,etc).

Thanks again for the advice!
Attachments
D499C052-F0CF-49A4-AFFA-A6E401B50748.jpeg
D499C052-F0CF-49A4-AFFA-A6E401B50748.jpeg (178.68 KiB) Viewed 134 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:47 pm

Hard to say if the second layer has asbestos or not. You could get a sample and send it for testing to be sure. You negative air system will help the control of particles gently. If this second layer was glued over a sub floor then I would remove the entire subfloor cause scraping and cleaning that old stuff off is a nightmare.
You could go right over all layers if they are in good condition and the floor is sound.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon