How to add a window sill to a PVC window that was preassembled with vinyl jamb extensions?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mbmsv

How to add a window sill to a PVC window that was preassembled with vinyl jamb extensions?

Post by mbmsv » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:19 pm

I want to make wider window sills for the existing PVC windows. The problem is that the windows were built with the jambs attached at the factory and I don't know if I can remove the lower portion nicely to make a room for a new window sill installation. I believe the jambs are made of wood and capped with PVC. I was thinking of building a shelf flush with the lower jamb but then how would I fill a gap nicely? Thanks.

Shannon

Re: How to add a window sill to a PVC window that was preassembled with vinyl jamb extensions?

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:20 am

So I think I know what you are wanting to do. Here is a pictures this what kinda what you want to achieve?
IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0146.JPG (118.95 KiB) Viewed 188 times
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbmsv

Re: How to add a window sill to a PVC window that was preassembled with vinyl jamb extensions?

Post by mbmsv » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:23 am

If I understand this picture correctly, the original window had jambs, which weren't wide enough for the wall thickness and two extensions were added judging by the seams. In my case I only want to extend the lower jamb to create a wider window sill sticking out of the wall by let's say 3-4 inches. I think I have two options:
1. Cut out the existing lower jamb somehow and install a new window sill instead. This is probably the best way but I am somewhat afraid to ruin the window in the process. So, the main question is what's the best way to remove that lower jamb without damaging anything in the process. Better understanding of how it was originally built would really help here...
2. Build a separate shelf flush to the existing lower jamb. The shelf would be attached to the wall. The problem with this approach is that I won't be able to match colour and texture of the existing PVC and I would have an annoying seam, which I would have to fill with DAP I guess... This is not going to look the best. Potentially I could cover this with some additional thin layer but pretty much anything would interfere with the window opening mechanism. It's a casement window.

Thanks.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:53 pm

yes these windows were extended a couple of times to get the extremely deep depth.
I was referring more to the small lip added to the bottom which creates that older window style finish.

3-4 ' sticking out is going to kinda look odd I think what is the reason for such a large over hang?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mbmsv

Post by mbmsv » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:37 pm

OK, perhaps 3-4 inches is a bit much but here's a picture of the window I installed during kitchen renovation. The overhang is 2.5 inches. And you can see what it is for.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 am

unless the window is removed from the wall it will not be easy to remove the sill casing. The pieces of jamb are cased around window and the laps are screwed together and the sills are inserted into a channel on the main frame and screwed to the window. Cutting the vinyl is no big deal but the screws may cause a problem so cutting in place could be a challenge. I think butting this new piece to the existing is your best bet. Paint it with a good quality semi gloss paint. With all that stuff on there who will ever tell if the texture or colour are of a bit?