Basement reno

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
awdturbo2g

Basement reno

Post by awdturbo2g » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:42 pm

Hello everyone,

I am starting to redo an already partially finished basement due to some moisture issues and general poor quality job done previously. I began by tearing down all of the wood paneling to find the concrete foundation insulated with faced batt insulation installed between the studs, no barrier on the concrete and the kraft paper poorly stapled on the living area side with lots of gaps. Id like to add a 1" rigid foam board onto the concrete surface but the studs are installed basically right up against the concrete leaving little to no room to install the rigid foam behind the studs. I am really hoping not to re-frame the entire basement so i wanted to cut the rigid foam boards to fit between the studs and spray can foam the gaps around each board. The first minor issue arises with what to do in the tiny space behind each stud? maybe just shoot some spray foam into the space best i can? The second issue is with after installing the 1" rigid foam that only leaves 2.5" left for the batt insulation , i don't want to squeeze the 3.5" batts into the space and compromise the effectiveness of the insulation. Do they sell skinnier batts? Id eventually like to finish off with a 6mil poly barrier before the drywall. Any suggestions for the 2 issues i'm having would be appreciated. Thank you

Shannon

Re: Basement reno

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Knocking down the walls and starting over would be my preference ,especially since the wood has been in contact with not only the concrete walls but the damp concrete floor as well. You are very likely to find mould and mildew issues on areas of that old framing from this contact.

Is it a possibility to cut the walls free from the floor and ceiling and moving them inward? This can be a pain especially if the wiring has no extra wire to allow any movement but it would give you a much better and efficient insulation quality.I would pull them 1-1/2" to 2" forward if possible.

If this is not a possibility I would price out having it spray foamed.

Lastly I would go the route you suggested and put rigid between the studs ,sprayfoam the back side of wood and seal to the rigid foam pieces. You could then use R12 batts torn in half thickness wise. This is by far the worst option IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

awdturbo2g

Post by awdturbo2g » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:46 am

Hello Shannon. After inspecting the area further, it looks like the bottom plate in contact with the concrete floor ( non treated lumber of course...) is showing signs of damage from moisture so this will need to be replaced for sure. I thought about moving all the walls in a few inches but now with the bottom plate issue id have to replace it anyway. I was hoping i wouldn't have to re frame but i want to make sure it is done the best way possible so looks like ill be doing that. Thank you for the response and all your You Tube videos have been very helpful.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:34 am

It is possible to cut off just the bottom of each stud just above the plate or even 1/4" or so of the studs and remove the plate. Then fasten the new plate in the new position and pull wall forward and attach each stud to the plate. If the studs are ok.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

awdturbo2g

Post by awdturbo2g » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:43 pm

So i ended up taking it all down. Wow am i glad i did, there was significant mold behind each stud and in corners. Now that it is all down my plan is to install 2" Dow super tuff R ( R-13) rigid foam on all of the concrete, then purchase a 200 sqft froth pack to spray foam all the rim joist areas that are difficult to insulate. My questions are since the rigid foam has a water vapor permeance of <.03 i shouldn't need an additional poly vapor barrier installed, also the R13 should be sufficient for the insulation value of the walls. So do i just go the cheaper route with the walls and do 2x2's 16OC and no batts?

DanM

Post by DanM » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:36 pm

I wouldn't go the cheaper route with 2x2's, stick with 2x4s. 2x2s love to bend, twist, and warp and the drywall will end up wavy. The waviness will only get worse with time. As for skipping the batts I would say it depends on your climate. The further south you are the more likely I would say skip it. If you live somewhere where winter is an issue I would definitely put the batts in, you're better off doing it now while everything's open than deciding down the road that the basement is too cold.

awdturbo2g

Post by awdturbo2g » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:43 pm

Thank you DanM. You are right, i will regret it later if i take short cuts now. With batts and 2x4 I will end up with about R26 in the walls so should be very well insulated. So no additional vapor barrier needed with the 2" rigid foam correct?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Many areas will allow the vapour barrier to be skipped if the 2' foam is used and sealed well. You would have to check with your local inspection office about that.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:34 pm

By the way I agree with Dan completely on the extra batts of insulation.

DesignedtoRun

Post by DesignedtoRun » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:25 pm

In this instance or in any instance would you recommend that any or all black mould be cleaned and removed or simply covered with the rigid foam? I ask because in my unfinished basement there is some black mould in the corners. I suspect because when it gets really cold outside moisture collects and freezes and thaws in those areas.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:54 pm

Any mould should be dealt with and not just covered up.

GSeidensticker

Post by GSeidensticker » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:06 pm

Hi-
I hired a company to come in and waterproof my basement. My studs and drywall were only slightly damp in areas and not at all rotted. My concern is that (per attached photos) these contractors completely removed and whacked away all the framing behind the drywall, and the studs. Were they supposed to do this!? Something tells me they made a mistake somewhere and are trying to make this look intentional. There was NO rotten wood... I have no idea how I’m going to have this repaired/replaced. Help!
Thanks-
G
Attachments
F21AC7E9-5869-42C7-AB30-DA3D7B7AD60A.jpeg
F21AC7E9-5869-42C7-AB30-DA3D7B7AD60A.jpeg (99.51 KiB) Viewed 137 times
DF00FF6A-8315-4346-A0F7-A08A6E8C67CB.jpeg
DF00FF6A-8315-4346-A0F7-A08A6E8C67CB.jpeg (152.9 KiB) Viewed 137 times
2502C219-18BA-4A67-88A9-55EE5E5A8964.jpeg
2502C219-18BA-4A67-88A9-55EE5E5A8964.jpeg (129.61 KiB) Viewed 137 times
C0AE4B3F-8452-4578-B9D9-7FFDFDE80005.jpeg
C0AE4B3F-8452-4578-B9D9-7FFDFDE80005.jpeg (133.29 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 am

That is the only way they could get the room they needed to remove the concrete and add the french drain (that's what it looks like they did?)

This is repairable. All the studs can be sistered with a new piece and the bottom plate replaced. Patching in the drywall is no problem either , the mudding ,taping and texturing is a little more difficult to dal with when there is existing texture there but it can be done but IMO will not be perfect.

kdand

Post by kdand » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:46 am

Hey Shannon,

Similar to the OPs situation I am redoing my basement and plan to pull the existing 2x4 walls out and install rigid insulation. I watched your video on using 1.5” durofoam rigid followed by 2x4 framed wall with batt insulation and a vapour barrier and was planning to replicate it. My concern is without an installed HRV system is this method not inadequate to get the required R19.6? I was also told that instead of the codes 0.3 RSI ratio, city inspectors flip this ratio and require A 2/3 - 1/3 ratio where 2/3 of the R value is in the rigid insulation.

Thanks,
Kyle

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:04 am

That is something to for check with your local inspection office. I think what you are referring to though is that if your foam makes up 2/3 of the R value and is against the concrete then you can skip the interior vapour barrier because the dew point is moved to between the foam and concrete ?