Wall Insulation Technique OK?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
DeFidoSole

Wall Insulation Technique OK?

Post by DeFidoSole » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:07 pm

I just purchased a 1940's home that has aluminum siding and underneath that is wooden siding. Obviously there is probably no house wrap or anything else like that installed and I don't want to redo the siding for now.

I am tearing all of the interior walls out and redoing them all and so now is a good time to either repair or replace (add? possible there isn't any in there!) insulation.

What do y'all think of this method... A) Use closed-cell spray foam to only spray the edges within the 2x4 framing to close air gaps.  B) Then use unfaced batting and C) install a standard vapor barrier before dry-walling?

Thanks for your time and consideration everyone!

Shannon

Re: Wall Insulation Technique OK?

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:37 am

There is nothing wrong with that method. Do not get too carried away with the foam because anywhere the batt insulation is compressed it loses R value. If you are having someone come into seal the edges with foam you might as well have them do at least 2" of foam in the whole cavity and be done with it. You will get a much higher R value.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

DeFidoSole

Re: Wall Insulation Technique OK?

Post by DeFidoSole » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:33 am

Thank you for your reply and so quickly. Love your YouTube channel!

I will be doing the foam myself as I go along. I plan to ultimately replace the siding and can really seal things up from the outside when I get that far.