Stall shower in basement - how much of a gap between ceiling and shower walls?

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Rob-in-Toronto

Stall shower in basement - how much of a gap between ceiling and shower walls?

Post by Rob-in-Toronto » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi there,

I'm thinking about replacing a shower stall in my basement. All the models my wife approves of are taller than the current one. Any guestimates on the minimum gap size between the top of the shower walls and the ceiling? Once I know how much of a gap I want to leave for steam, I'll know the maximum height of the walls.

Many thanks,
- Rob

Shannon

Re: Stall shower in basement - how much of a gap between ceiling and shower walls?

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:49 pm

Well it is really more about how much space is going to be above the doors up to the ceiling. Unless your framed walls are not going right to the ceiling? how high is the ceiling from the floor?
If these areas are going to be tight then I would consider placing the bathroom exhaust fan in the shower of right out front of the door. Use a good quality fan with more then enough CFMs for the room size you have.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Rob-in-Toronto

Re: Stall shower in basement - how much of a gap between ceiling and shower walls?

Post by Rob-in-Toronto » Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand the point about the doors - do you mean the shower door? The framed walls go from the floor to ceiling, but they're not near the shower (well, one is). The space from floor to ceiling is about 80". I do plan on putting the fan much closer to the shower than it's currently located.

We were looking at one shower that would have allowed only a 1" gap between the top of the shower walls/door and the ceiling, and I doubt that's enough. Perhaps something like a 3" space would be better?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:34 pm

Oh I see this is like maybe a corner shower with two glass walls and a door? Right?

Ya even 3" is pretty tight. I would place the fan real close if you need to be that tight.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Rob-in-Toronto

Post by Rob-in-Toronto » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:08 am

Yeah, that's about what I thought. Thanks so much!
- Rob