Basement ceiling inuslation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
KevP

Basement ceiling inuslation

Post by KevP » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:24 am

Hey guys,
Is it worth it to insulate the ceiling in the room im finishing? Very mixed opinions. Some people believe all it does is to help with noise isolation and some believe it keeps the floor above warmer.
We are spray foaming the wall and rim joists so no heat loss will occur so the heat has to rise.

I have some ducts running between joists as well. I dont think i need a vapor barrier on those. Right?
So 2 things:
Is it worth to insulate the finished side ceiling ( half of basement will stay unfinished, im actually not insulating that since the ducts keep it warm and prevent frozen pipes, i live in MN)
Second is vapor barrier on ducts on the finished side? Some areas will be very hard to insualte since the joists are too close.

Shannon

Re: Basement ceiling inuslation

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:33 am

Ceilings don't need vapour barrier unless they have a cold zone on the other side like an unheated attic area.
Insulating a basement ceiling can help with some sound deadening but it is limited unless you have acoustic channels and 5/8" drywall as well.
IMO as long as the basement area is heated you do not gain much if any warmness to the floor by insulating it.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

KevP

Post by KevP » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:54 pm

Thanks. Yeah im doing wood panel on ceilings so there is really not much of noise isolation there.
Some floors above get cold but thats most likley due to the rim joists not being sealed. I bet spray foaming it will make huge change since the heat is not escaping from those areas and get channeled towards the floors instead

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 am

Yes for sure once the box ends are all insulated it will help a fair bit. If you have wood floors upstairs the edges of the floors near exterior walls may still be cooler because of the cold transferring (convection) through the wood from outside but it will be less drafts and a bit warmer.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon