Sistering roof trusses

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
hankyknot

Sistering roof trusses

Post by hankyknot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:58 pm

One side of our single storey building ( current renovation project and future home and pottery studio) got wet and stayed wet. The end result is that in the rear section, where the apartment will be, one wall rotted out and collapsed. This dropped the ends of some of the trusses about a foot and the end couple of feet of the trusses is showing minor signs of rot.

Our plan is to sister some fresh wood into the affected truss ends, (using a 5ft length that protrudes past the missing wall about a foot), then build a temporary 2x6 wall outside, and use that to support /straighten the roof whilst we frame and insert a new wall before lowering the roof back down onto the new wall.

Sistered lumber would be screwed every 6" in a kind of zig zag up the existing truss so there would be a screw on each edge about a foot apart.

Is this an effective solution for our problem or is there something else we should be doing?

Shannon

Re: Sistering roof trusses

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:24 pm

This sounds reasonable but don’t use just deck screws use either framing nails or structural screws and I would use building adhesive as well.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:25 pm

I would also remove the roofing and sheeting before lifting .
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

hankyknot

Post by hankyknot » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:51 pm

After a more close up inspection once the scaffolding was in place I think sistering with 2x lumber on both side and 4" screws. Hadn't thought of removing the sheeting before lifting though, thanks for the tip!!