Question - finishing a basement - framing

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jfreeman

Question - finishing a basement - framing

Post by jfreeman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am

Good morning,

I'm building some dividing (non-structural) walls to finish a small basement. I have taken out a permit but I'm having some difficulty getting my inspector on the phone. I found this site through Shannon's helpful and informative videos, and wanted to ask a couple of questions if I may, so that I can continue work while waiting for a response from the inspector.

1. I'm using a single top-plate, which the city (Ottawa) has told me is acceptable. Would anyone know if it is permitted to use metal splice plates to splice sections of the top plate together? I am using both metal splice plates and blocking below the splice points.

2. I'm using 2-1/2" decking screws for all stud connections, instead of nails. I'm using 2 per connection. I believe Shannon mentioned this is okay in one of his videos, and I have heard others say it should be okay, but would anyone know if this will pass inspection in Ontario? Again this is for non-load bearing divider walls.

Thank you for your help,

Jim

Shannon

Re: Question - finishing a basement - framing

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 am

For non load bearing framing in the basement I would use 3" deck screws for sure not 2-1/2".
Single top plate is fine and a wood block at a splice is all you should need or place your splices centred at a stud location.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for the quick reply. Okay that makes sense - luckily we have only just started the framing so I'll replace the screws with 3" and use those moving forward. Thanks again, I appreciate the advice!

Jim

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am

Hi all,

Would anyone know the minimum clearance requirement in Ontario between a wall and the removable front-panel of a furnace? I believe it is 24" but have not been able to confirm.

Thanks,

Jim

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

I can’t say for sure but if it’s possible I would leave more then that. Anyone who needs to work on that will struggle IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon