Question - finishing a basement - framing

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jfreeman

Question - finishing a basement - framing

Post by jfreeman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:07 am

Good morning,

I'm building some dividing (non-structural) walls to finish a small basement. I have taken out a permit but I'm having some difficulty getting my inspector on the phone. I found this site through Shannon's helpful and informative videos, and wanted to ask a couple of questions if I may, so that I can continue work while waiting for a response from the inspector.

1. I'm using a single top-plate, which the city (Ottawa) has told me is acceptable. Would anyone know if it is permitted to use metal splice plates to splice sections of the top plate together? I am using both metal splice plates and blocking below the splice points.

2. I'm using 2-1/2" decking screws for all stud connections, instead of nails. I'm using 2 per connection. I believe Shannon mentioned this is okay in one of his videos, and I have heard others say it should be okay, but would anyone know if this will pass inspection in Ontario? Again this is for non-load bearing divider walls.

Thank you for your help,

Jim

Shannon

Re: Question - finishing a basement - framing

Post by Shannon » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:26 am

For non load bearing framing in the basement I would use 3" deck screws for sure not 2-1/2".
Single top plate is fine and a wood block at a splice is all you should need or place your splices centred at a stud location.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:11 am

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for the quick reply. Okay that makes sense - luckily we have only just started the framing so I'll replace the screws with 3" and use those moving forward. Thanks again, I appreciate the advice!

Jim

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:21 am

Hi all,

Would anyone know the minimum clearance requirement in Ontario between a wall and the removable front-panel of a furnace? I believe it is 24" but have not been able to confirm.

Thanks,

Jim

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm

I can’t say for sure but if it’s possible I would leave more then that. Anyone who needs to work on that will struggle IMO.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:42 am

Thank you Shannon. It looks like code is 24" but you are right - it looks pretty tight. I ended up going with 27" to give a bit more clearance. Thanks again.

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:15 pm

Here's another question if I may - our basement has a small storage room that I was hoping to hide with a door. However the joists in that room are only 7' above the foundation floor, and in the opening to the room there is some duct-work that is 78" above the foundation floor at its lowest point. (See attached picture)

I believe 78" is the minimum height of a finished door opening, so we have a problem. On the floor plan provided by the builder this room is listed as having "low head room". Does this mean a lower than normal door opening is permitted? Or if not, would anyone have suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

https://imgur.com/9P7UFka

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:43 pm

Yes you can cut most doors and frames to fit what you need. You could also alternatively install the door swinging out of the room instead?

jfreeman

Post by jfreeman » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am

Hi Shannon, thank you for the reply. Having the door swing out is a good suggestion, however there's a catch - it's hard to tell from the picture, but that ducting extends into the hallway, and that's at the bottom of the stairs. If I mount the door in-front of the ducting, it would obstruct the stairway. That may be our only option though.

You had mentioned doors can be cut down - would you know if in some cases it is permitted to have a door opening that is lower than 78"? Thanks!

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am

Oh ya I can see tat now ,originally I thought they were just behind the wall line.

I can't speak for your local area and codes but for a utility type room its generally not an issue. You can check with your local code office to be sure but you are likely pretty safe down to 6' if you absolute had to.

Here is a video showing cutting down doors if you need some assistance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxBTd9_ ... ex=15&t=0s