Insulating rim joists material

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
lovemyoldhouse

Insulating rim joists material

Post by lovemyoldhouse » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:10 am

Hey Shannon,
I re-watched your excellent video on insulating rim joists before I got started. I ran into the air conditioning lines. The cold one is insulated and the hot one is not, which is normal. My question is can I spray foam around the hot line with normal spray foam or do I need some kinds high temp stuff? Not sure how hot this line gets or what spray foam is rated for. I just keep hearing how combustible it is so i'm a little cautious to spray it up. I also have air coming in from around the line so I wanted to reseal the outside which looks to be silicon. What do you suggest for sealing these lines in around brick?

Shannon

Re: Insulating rim joists material

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:24 am

You will be fine to spray the cavity including around the AC lines.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

lovemyoldhouse

Post by lovemyoldhouse » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:33 am

Awesome. Your the best!!
And outside sealing. Do you think masonry silicon, regular silicon, or masonry polyethylene? I has to stick to copper, brick and the spongy ac intake line insulation black tubing stuff.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:14 pm

Any good exterior caulking or silicone will do the job. I would cut the foam back so you seal to the copper and butt the foam pipe wrap to that.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon