Finishing Basement, help!

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
snowsik

Finishing Basement, help!

Post by snowsik » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:35 am

So I plan to finish half of my basement. On that side I painted two coats of BEHR Masonry Sealer, will be putting up 1 inch XPS foam, framing a 2x4 wall and filling cavaties with R-13 batt insulation. Finishing with Drywall. I haven't quite decided on best waterproof flooring option yet so any suggestions are most welcome, ease of use and cost are main factors as this is a DIY. I also am wondering if I should be putting a vapor barrier over the stud frame once the batt insulation is installed, before attaching the drywall. I've seen videos where people say to do that and others where it says that traps moisture in the cavity with no permeable layer to vent it out.

My main question though is the unfinished side of the basement. It is the side with my sump pit which has a sump pump and will have a redundant and battery operated reserve installed shortly. I don't have a history with water problems anyways. The division between finished and unfinished will be a drop wall with one doorway. I'm just wondering what, if anything, I should do on the backside of that drop wall to protect in the event of a flood (again not likely). I didn't know if there were any good skirting products I could use on the bottom of the wall to help pitch water away and provide a barrier?

Thanks in advance!

Shannon

Re: Finishing Basement, help!

Post by Shannon » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Check your local codes but in my area I am required to use a air/vapour barrier. There are newer "smart " versions now that will allow the wall to breath if it needs to, so those may be allowed in your area as an alternative.

There are products you can use to build the floor level up and provide a breathable layer between the flooring and concrete and give a slightly warmer floor. Dricore would be one of those products. IMO if the floor is dry and its history is dry it is not that big of a deal. Place a 2' x2' square of poly on the floor over night and see if it is damp in that spot in the morning . Most floors will have some moisture but it should not be really damp.

I don't know of anything off hand that will help with what you want there and in reality unless the door is raised you still have a problem there. I suppose for the rest of the area you could seal the wood plate to the floor and install a commercial rubber base board then seal it? It would help but the concrete itself will wick moisture down into itself anyways if it stands for any time.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon