Storm Windows

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
jamesgeiger

Storm Windows

Post by jamesgeiger » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi again,

I have 7 storm windows in my sun room that are old. The problem in the winter and even when it rains in general is that water gets in. No matter what I do there are gaps in the Windows and they won't stay up (picture attached). It is really bad in the winter when ice dams up and it melts everywhere in the sunroom.

Is this fixable or do I need new storm windows? How expensive are 7 of them to replace?
Attachments
storm_window.jpg
storm_window.jpg (63.93 KiB) Viewed 120 times

Shannon

Re: Storm Windows

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:10 am

I actually could not tell you if they are even a "thing " anymore. I have never sold one here. I guess the thing to do would be to contact a local window supplier and see what they say.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

emtnut

Post by emtnut » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm

I have storm windows like that at my cottage.

There are spring loaded tabs at the bottom of each pane that locks it in place. Either the tab is missing/broken, or the holes that it lock into are filled with crap.
~~ Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford Ford :mrgreen: ~~

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:25 pm

emtnut wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:26 pm
I have storm windows like that at my cottage.

There are spring loaded tabs at the bottom of each pane that locks it in place. Either the tab is missing/broken, or the holes that it lock into are filled with crap.
this is the direction I was going to go as well, that something was worn or broken in the hardware that needs to be addressed. Whether or not repair parts are available, who knows, but a glass shop will be the best place to start when looking for parts.

When you dig into this project, start with one window and take notes/pix of how you take it apart so that you can reassemble later. Look for a manufacturer's tag, this will aid in locating parts.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

jamesgeiger

Post by jamesgeiger » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:30 am

Thanks all