Solid hardwood on Concrete subfloor

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Jhum Kudi

Solid hardwood on Concrete subfloor

Post by Jhum Kudi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advice on how to install solid 3/4" hardwood (tongue and groove) on a concrete sub floor. We live on a mountain property so tiling is not such a good idea. Prefer not using engineered wood since solid can be refinished when needing updating. Will need to consider moisture since the room is in the basement. We removed the old carpet and found concrete underneath. Took out tack strips and left with lots of holes. So, clearly we will need to prep the floor with something first. We have experience installing solid hardwood on the top floor using the nailing method. Perhaps all we can do is glue the floor down but can solid hardwood (3/4") be glued down? If so, what else should we do in terms of insulating the floor for cold and the moisture issue that this floor will encounter.

Thanks for all the guidance you can share.

Best,
Jhum

Shannon

Re: Solid hardwood on Concrete subfloor

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:32 pm

I have never installed a wood floor directly over concrete but it can be glued down. Follow floor manufactures recommendations . Small holes from the tack strips are likely not a huge issue.
flooring manufacture may not recommend it if concrete has moisture issues.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Shannon

Re: Solid hardwood on Concrete subfloor

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:34 pm

Personally I would use a LVP flooring. Many look and feel very realistic. Here is the time lapsed video of our LVP video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbQqAgJAko
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon