Framing a door and drywalling in an unusual space

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
joestill

Framing a door and drywalling in an unusual space

Post by joestill » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:15 pm

I could use some advice. I'm going to frame a door in an unusual space. I have an alcove, 37" wide, 34" deep. I plan to install a 28" door to make it a closet. Given a 30" frame for the door, that leaves me just 7" for all my studs. Complicating things: The left abutting wall is not a 90 degree angle. It's wider, about 100 degrees. I plan to make shims for the left king stud to square it. I could simply install the king and jack studs against each of the side walls and wind up with a 31" door frame for my 28" door. However, if I use only one stud on the right side, the trim around the door should hide most of the drywall seam. So my questions. 1. On that right side, can I combine/weasel my king and jack stud into one. The stud would go up to the header. Then I "complete the jack stud" with a short cripple stud from the header to the top plate, nailed into the right wall. Yes, it's against the rules, but... 2: On the left side, my drywall is going to meet a wall that's wide at a 100 degree angle. Can I use a rasp to bevel that side of the drywall so the front is flush and the rest is angled to compensate for the wall? Thanks in advance for your help! Joe

A. Spruce

Re: Framing a door and drywalling in an unusual space

Post by A. Spruce » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Can you post a pic of the opening, if it is as I suspect it to be, you are way over complicating things with your methods.

I would also recommend using as large a door as possible, not only for ease of access into the closet, but also for maximum light inside while you're trying to find whatever you're storing in there. I would use a 30" door at minimum, 32" or 34" would be preferable.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:43 pm

There really is no need for a header here just a 2x4 on the flat spreading the 2x4 studs on each side of the opening to the width you need.
Pictures would help us see the off angle corner.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

joestill

Post by joestill » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Thanks for responding! Here some pics that I hope will make things clearer. The last pic showing the floor gives a sense of the angle of the left wall. The piece of wood on the floor is perpendicular to the right wall.

The reason for this strange angle: My apartment building was constructed on an uneven lot, so that one whole side of the building is angled out at 10 degrees.
Attachments
IMG_3022.jpg
IMG_3022.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 95 times
IMG_3021.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg (49.88 KiB) Viewed 95 times
IMG_3019.jpg
IMG_3019.jpg (66 KiB) Viewed 95 times
IMG_3017.jpg
IMG_3017.jpg (53.61 KiB) Viewed 95 times
IMG_3016.jpg
IMG_3016.jpg (71.98 KiB) Viewed 95 times

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:43 am

That does help to see the situation better, thanks for the pics.
Well I agree with Spruce a bigger door is better the 32 or 34" doors he suggests would not be my choice with the space you have . The 30" would fit fine though . I would put one full stud on the RH side against the drywall and one on the left side keeping it square to the door opening. You will get a bit of a gap between that one and the drywall on the left but that does not matter. This shifts the door over from the left abutting wall and gives you more room for trim. Like I said you really don't need a header just another 2x4 laying flat across the opening between those two tall studs. Throw in what ever you need up top for the cripples and the frame is done. Add the drywall, tape the seams and mud them and your ready for paint.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

joestill

Post by joestill » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 am

I should have mentioned this yesterday: There's another closet nearby with a 28" door. When this one is done, they will be like twins on either side of a balcony. Visually, they should be the same size. So I'm locked in at 28". Given that, would you just double up the studs on each side? It sounds like you don't think I need a ceiling plate. Is that right? When you say I just need a 2x4 laying flat across the opening between those two studs, is that resting atop the door frame? Thanks!

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 am

Definitely no header needed, you only need a backer for the drywall. I would put a full length 2x4 on each side, then one on the ceiling and one just above the door frame. For the smaller door frame, it will be easier to stack 2x4s to narrow the opening than it will be to "frame" it down. In addition to stacking, you can use plywood, 1x4, or just about anything else as a shim between the 2x to get the exact dimensions you wish.

joestill

Post by joestill » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:18 am

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks to both of you for you suggestions.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:49 pm

You will want a ceiling plate. As for the floor plate I would skip it. generally short floor plates like that will just split and blow apart . I would just run the studs to the floor and pre drill and "toe screw" them down through the bamboo flooring in place.

joestill

Post by joestill » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:50 pm

Okay, I'll do that. I'll be rewatching your video on drywalling a few times. Thanks again.

joestill

Post by joestill » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm

I'll ask you one more question. Because the drywall is around a door, should I make it one piece and use a drywall saw to cut around the opening?

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:36 pm

joestill wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:35 pm
I'll ask you one more question. Because the drywall is around a door, should I make it one piece and use a drywall saw to cut around the opening?
You could do that if you want, doesn't matter, you've got significant taping on the sides, the small amount more that installing pieces would create isn't going to make any more work. It will probably be easiest to install a "full" sheet across the top of the opening, then cut out the door, then install the narrow pieces for each leg.

Smaller pieces will be easier to handle by yourself, cutting can be done outside to minimize dust in the house, hence the reason for installing pieces over a full sheet.

joestill

Post by joestill » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am

Got it. Thanks to both you guys :) :geek:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 am

A quick and easy tip for ya, assuming you put a half sheet over the top of the door and cut out the opening, install it, screw it off, use a saw to cut the legs up to the "header", then from the back, score the drywall along the header with a utility knife, push the cut piece forward, then cut the face paper. Quick, easy, efficient, low dust/mess. 8-)

joestill

Post by joestill » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:46 pm

That's very cool. I hadn't thought of that. This is making me think I don't need to worry about using a rasp to angle the drywall to fit the 100 degree angle on the left side. Instead I'll fit the drywall naturally and plug whatever gap is there from that weird angle with mud. It's hard to describe it without visuals, but the gap will start about 1/8" at the front of the drywall on the left side wall and angle down to 0 at the back of the drywall where it meets the wall flush. I'll plan on an extra first coat of mud just to fill that gap, give it a nice chunk of time to dry, then mud and tape the joint per your video. Thanks again for helping out an amateur :ugeek:

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Yup, no need to bevel end of drywall you are installing, fill with mud, paper tape, top, finish, done!

You can also do the drywall pieces on the legs the same way, install it, then score the back and break it in place, no measuring, quick/easy.

joestill

Post by joestill » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:20 am

That's awesome, thanks!