Mold & Asbestos (spelling)

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
speckadue

Mold & Asbestos (spelling)

Post by speckadue » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:46 am

My daughter has a 200 year old house. We were told it contains asbestsos and mold after a second inspectior ,we paid for. We took out the old insulation in the attic,preparing to put in new insulation. There was no mention of the problems in the initial house inspection ! Real estate person knew the inspector!
My question is this: Would blown in foam insulation encapsulate the asbestos and protect her and the kids? Seek out a lawyer?
Thanks,
Bob

Shannon

Re: Mold & Asbestos (spelling)

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:24 am

I can't say for sure but I would suspect that it would depending on the situation. What is the product you are covering with foam?
Just an FYI most all homes built Pre 1990s will have products containing asbestos. They were used in insulation, flooring, glues, ceiling tiles ,drywall compounds and likely other things I can not think of right now. You may even find some in homes built up to 2000 while older products stocks where being used up. So it is in many homes.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:48 am

You can't tell by looking at something whether there is asbestos present or not, the materials must be lab tested to determine that. Now, there are certain products where asbestos is likely to be, but "likely" can't be taken as "positively".

What kind of remodel work or retrofit work has been done since 1978 (US, Canada was a little later), the year that asbestos was completely banned from all building products? Point being, there may be little to no asbestos present in the house.

Encapsulation is absolutely an acceptable method of abatement of both asbestos and lead.

Legal action is up to you, but you will have to show that the original inspector was negligent or in some way compromised to have any successful outcome, and that will be pretty hard to do, plus, the time, expense, and efforts of such an action, so be clear on what your purpose of it would be and what you expect to get out of it.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:07 am

My personal opinion is that going to court will not be an easy thing. A two hundred yr old home would have had some type of asbestos products used through out the years even during earlier remodels but it would be impossible to tell which ones without testing and some of them would be covered up in walls ,ceilings and under layers of floors.
IMO,Most asbestos is relatively un harmful until it is disturbed into the air, that is when it needs to be controlled and properly handled.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon