New Construction Insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
mkicki

New Construction Insulation

Post by mkicki » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:04 am

We are building our home in the Chicago land area, have been going back and forth with what best option to go with. We are building a 2 story home, with a full basement, attached garage with a bonus room over the garage. Basement I was shooting for 2 inches of closed cell, and all remaining outside walls with 5 inches of open cell spray. The roof of our 2nd story is flat so plan on doing blown in cellulose. Any suggestions as to what is recommended ?

Shannon

Re: New Construction Insulation

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

If you are going with foam everywhere else why not the roof?
My only other concern is the open cell foam. Here you would need that to be closed cell or use an additional air/vapour barrier over it. Check your local building codes for info pertaining to insulation amounts needed and air/vapour barriers.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:39 pm

Thanks Shannon, I will check on the open vs closed, for sure it will be a ton more for closed cell. I know a ton of builders out here use open on anything past the basement. Reason for blown in on the flat ceiling versus foam on rafters, more area to cover.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Actually looking at your post again i think I mis understood the ceiling. I was taking it as a flat roof but I think you mean it is a traditional roof truss system (peaked) with a flat ceiling ? So in that case blow in makes perfect sense.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:38 am

Thanks Shannon, yes it has the regular truss system, I misspoke. Any other issue with the open cell all over the outside walls and possible moisture/mold build up ? Closed cell is probably a better option but way more money.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 am

Honestly open cell is rarely used here as far as I ever see so I cant say for sure.

mkicki

Post by mkicki » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

That is interesting, any words of advise as to what way I should go? still not fully decided, got quotes for various systems.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm

Like I said earlier closed cell gives you R value and air/vapour barrier in one step so that is what I would do. Possibly using a combination of open cell with a 2" layer of closed cell over it may be cheaper than all closed cell?? Ask your installers.