Replacing insulation and plaster

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
KTOOLE

Replacing insulation and plaster

Post by KTOOLE » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am

I'm looking to tear out the plaster and lathe walls in my house since the plaster is bulging and cracked in a lot of places. It's an old house that was like this when we bought it cause it's what I could afford. I've replaced drywall before but I've never torn down plaster and lathe to do it. Any pointers or helpful tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also wanting to redo the insulation in the walls, which is something else I havent done yet. Do yall have any recommendations on the type of insulation I should use? Spray foam, pink panther, ect.

I appreciate any advice and tips. Thank you :)

Shannon

Re: Replacing insulation and plaster

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:10 am

Well first off you should be aware that there is a strong possibility that there will be asbestos in the plaster and old insulation if there is insulation in the walls. This freaks a lot of folks out so I want you to be aware that you can have samples tested first if you like so you know what you are dealing with. If it comes back positive then you can decide if this is still something you want to tackle or if you wanna get prices from companies to do the removal. I don't recommend you do this demo with family living at home especially if i will be an extensive demo. I also recommend you use proper safety masks with proper filters and a negative air type system to draw dust and air from the home while working. Sealing off rooms being demoed from other areas of the home and forced air heating/cooling systems as well.Also usually asbestos materials need to be disposed of in particular ways ,so checking with your local land fill is important.

As far as the new insulation I would lean towards batt insulation or Roxul insulation and of course proper air/vapour barriers if they are required where you live.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Aaron

Post by Aaron » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:21 am

Asbestos and lead paint! Be sure you get some samples taken.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Yes ,lead paint that is one I kinda forget about. Good call Aaron
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon