Installing interior door with hardwood floor in remodel

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
spiritpots

Installing interior door with hardwood floor in remodel

Post by spiritpots » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:31 pm

I am remodeling an older home and have a question about installing the interior doors and wood floor. The home was originally carpeted but I have removed all of it and will be installing 3/4" solid hardwood flooring throughout. The existing rough opening height for the doors is 82-1/2" high (measured from the subfloor) which is perfect for my new 80" high doors. However, if I install the flooring first (as I've read here is generally the way to go) then the door jambs will be a 3/4" too long. My question is would it be best to install the doors first and then lay the wood floor or install the floor first and then trim the jambs? In either case I believe will probably need to trim the bottom of the doors a bit, too. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Shannon

Re: Installing interior door with hardwood floor in remodel

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:13 pm

It is my opinion that I would install the flooring first and cut the jambs and doors off to fit and install after. The doors will need to be cut off anyways and cutting the frames is easy ,so install the flooring without them in the way and you will have a better finish.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: Installing interior door with hardwood floor in remodel

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:12 pm

I agree with Shannon, floor first, doors second.

If you have forced air heating and cooling, you will want about 1" gap under the doors for air to escape the rooms when the door is closed.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.