cutting drywall in a stairwell

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
John S

cutting drywall in a stairwell

Post by John S » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:22 pm

I am installing Sheetrock in the hallway with stairs. How do you cut angles for both, top and bottom of the hallway? Thank you.

Shannon

Re: cutting drywall in a stairwell

Post by Shannon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:20 pm

Its really about careful measurements and cutting. Generally I would have a level line on the walls at the position of the horizontal joint of the wall sheets. From that you can plumb down / up with vertical lines/points giving you measure points off of that horizontal guild line. Hmm not sure if that makes any sense for someone reading this?
Its a much like cutting around anything. you need to be able to measure reference points along the way that you can mark on the new drywall to form a cutting line to follow.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

A. Spruce

Re: cutting drywall in a stairwell

Post by A. Spruce » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Yup, creating an accurate reference mark is crucial. I'd simply measure 4' down from the ceiling or up from the floor, whichever is the longer straight line, then a plumb line from where this horizontal line intersects the diagonal back to the original reference point (ceiling or floor). Doing this you have now created the triangular section of which you can measure. Transfer these measurements to your sheet of drywall and make your diagonal cut.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.