T&G or Shilap ceiling without drywall

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
KevP

T&G or Shilap ceiling without drywall

Post by KevP » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Hey guys,
So I am done with framing, insulation and electrical in my basement. Next thing is to do the ceiling. However I am not sure what is the best course of action. The room is 29x14 ft.
The joists have settled overtime so the lowest joist is about 1/2 to 3/4 lower than the highest.
So here is what I am thinking of right now:
1) If I add drywall, it helps with noise (living room is above this area). If I want to do that I almost have to strap the ceiling with 1x3s. However the strapping will be in the same direction as the wood planks that would go over it.
2) If I skip the drywall, it is tons easier to do since I dont have to deal with hanging the sheets and 1 coat of mud and taping. However leveling the ceiling changes. I can sister the joists with 2x4s but I have bridging in the between joists and I would have to work around those.
Any suggestions?

Shannon

Re: T&G or Shilap ceiling without drywall

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:14 am

I'm a bit confused .
In the 1st option you talk about strapping the ceiling ,drywall and wood planks. Im not sure i understand what you are doing?

In the 2nd option your skipping the drywall and sistering the joists. why? and what is going to cover the ceiling then?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

KevP

Post by KevP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:28 am

Hi Shannon. Sorry for the confusing post lol
So im thinking of doing wood planks as my finished ceiling. However the joists are out of level and the result would be wavy ceiling regardless if it is wod planks or drywall. I know that wood planks can be applied directly to framing but some advise against it. I have checked with my inspector and he had no issue with not having drywall underneath. However some suggest for fire barrier or at least noise reduction drywall is the way to go. If I go with drywall i have to add steapping perpendicular to the joista and then fasten the drywall to that. Then i would go over it with wood planks.
In ny second option i would skip drywall but i still need to fix the out of level joists. Since the boards will be perpendicular to the joists, i wont be able to strap the ceiling the same way you do for drywall.

KevP

Post by KevP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:19 pm

To add to what i mentioned above, how do you suggest to level a ceiling for wood plank boards vs drywall

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:45 pm

I honestly would do it exactly the same, strapping installed perpendicular to the joists but shimmed so they form a flat plane to watch the ceiling.
As you mentioned in first post you could install 2x4s the the joists.but it can be more hassle .
What about installing strapping perpendicular and flat then install another set across them in the direction of the joists again ?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

KevP

Post by KevP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm

I thought about that too. I have 7' 10" ceiling so u can afford few inches off

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am

I think I'd go with sistering over double strapping, just sounds easier and cheaper than two layers of 1x strapping.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am

A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am
I think I'd go with sistering over double strapping, just sounds easier and cheaper than two layers of 1x strapping.
That depends on how much crap is in the way along the edges of the joists I guess?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:22 am

If its only a couple joist that are out maybe you can just add a strap to the joist that need it?

KevP

Post by KevP » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am

Yeah... so the issue is that 5 out of 32 joists are lower, so i have 27ish joists that need to be strapped. The settling has happened around the stair header and windows. They are face nailed and overtime moved a bit. The rest are supported by the foundation and the main I-Beam. Luckily i should be able to sister them and i only have two bracing between each bay (every 6 feet). Just curious, what are your thoughts on drywall vs wood ceiling? I know drywall helps a bit with sound deadening but unless you do two sheets and some insulation it wont be as massive an improvement people talk about. Overhead drywall sucks and is definitely more skilled worked than walls.

A. Spruce

Post by A. Spruce » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:20 am

Shannon wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:20 am
A. Spruce wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am
That depends on how much crap is in the way along the edges of the joists I guess?
Well, YEah-uh!!!! :P ;) :mrgreen:

The sisters can be notched around blocking and other small impedances.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:01 pm

KevP wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:32 am
Yeah... so the issue is that 5 out of 32 joists are lower, so i have 27ish joists that need to be strapped. The settling has happened around the stair header and windows. They are face nailed and overtime moved a bit. The rest are supported by the foundation and the main I-Beam. Luckily i should be able to sister them and i only have two bracing between each bay (every 6 feet). Just curious, what are your thoughts on drywall vs wood ceiling? I know drywall helps a bit with sound deadening but unless you do two sheets and some insulation it wont be as massive an improvement people talk about. Overhead drywall sucks and is definitely more skilled worked than walls.
drywalling is more work for sure and unless you need the sound proofing may not be worth it. You could place insulation in the joist spaces and then the wood ceiling, it will muffle the noise a bit for sure. It does not do much for impact noise ,but voices and tv will be muffled .