Finishing my basement road block

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
getter done

Finishing my basement road block

Post by getter done » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 am

Hi all,

I'm just finishing my basement and the basement windows already have window boxes that are flush with the concrete walls.

How do I finish the windows after the basement is framed?

KevP

Re: Finishing my basement road block

Post by KevP » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:03 am

Clean way is to remove them and re do it otherwise you have to create a jamb extension. You can doo that with wood but easiest would be with drywall. Butt it next to the exiting jamb and caulk however i think it would not look as nice. If you go with wood extension you should be able to fill the gap and sand it down to make it look like one piece

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Drywall returns are a very common way.
Using wood or MDF will work also
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

getter done

Post by getter done » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:55 am

Thanks guys, I was just baffled at what to do/where to start.

My friend helping me insists that the windows come preinstalled in the window boxes. Can I remove the existing window box and make it deeper or would this involve removing the window?

KevP

Post by KevP » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:01 am

Can you add some pictures here?

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:24 am

If its a vinyl window the jamb extensions are screwed onto the window box and the window needs to come out to remove or replace them.
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

getter done

Post by getter done » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:34 pm

IMG_20191118_132959.jpg
IMG_20191118_132959.jpg (101.41 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Sorry for the late response.

I've attached a photo of the window(s) of question

KevP

Post by KevP » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:44 pm

What is the box made off of? Can't really tell if it goes under the window frame or just butted next to it. I mean if the box was set first and then window went over the box or they are independent of each other. If the window is attached over it then you have no other option that taking the whole thing out which is too much and unnecessary. Just make sure your framing has enough room so in the future you can take those out when a new windown is needed. My guess is that those windows are good for another 20 to 30 years at least.

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:29 pm

That wood is the window "buck". It is installed in the form when the basement is poured and leaves the void for the window. The windows are then installed inside of the wood "buck" and fastened to it. The easies way to finish this is to use a "drywall return". So you would frame the wall opening to match the inside of the wood buck and drywall would be cut to fit from the face of the drywall on the wall to the window. It is then screwed in place and finished with the rest of the drywall. A bead of caulking against the window will finish it off nicely.

getter done

Post by getter done » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Shannon, I was hoping and praying that finishing around these windows would be as simple as you have described. What would I have to do to replace the window in the event I need to in the future?

Kev, my first instinct was to take out the windows to construct a new window box and reinstall windows, yet I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go down that road.

KevP

Post by KevP » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 am

I think you should frame your walls around the opening. As Shannon mentioned you can drywall to cover the buck with drywall. However i would say for future proofing and not making the next person curse your name, frame right at the masonary wall. Then apply the same thickness materail to shim out the framing. You can cover over until you head the buck. Then drywall the sides to cover to interior buck. Yout windows look new and taking them is not needed. I re-did all of mine and they were 70 years old and a pain in the butt. Yours is easier but i think you are overthinking. Just make sure your new framing wont get in the way of future work such as pulling the window and buck out. Drywall can always get patched

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:17 am

I cant tell from the picture if this is just a window box or if it has a nail fin outside? Either way it should remove to the exterior if or when it ever needs changing.