Basement Insulation

Ask your questions pertaining to the interior that don't fit in the above categories
Home Reno Girl

Basement Insulation

Post by Home Reno Girl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:52 am

I have a 9’ concrete wall that I have glued 2” silver board to and taped joints, I have only covered 8’ from top of wall (as per inspectors code) leaving space at bottom. Have the 2x4 wall Insulated, again not to floor. I was told not to put vapour barrier on as the foam board is acting as the vapour barrier and if I do it will create condensation and then create a mold issue. What are your thoughts?

Shannon

Re: Basement Insulation

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:25 am

Well first off what kind of climate are you in?
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon

Home Reno Girl

Post by Home Reno Girl » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Oh my apology, cold. Ottawa Ontario

Shannon

Post by Shannon » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:36 pm

I HAVE heard of this before .Leaving the foam and insulation up off the floor that is. This makes absolute no sense to me. I know the concrete wall will not be as cold burried down 5 feet in the ground but why leave it un insulated? What makes less sense is leaving the batt insulation out of the bottom foot of the framed wall? IMO you may as well not install any batt insulation at all because that gap at the bottom lets cool air up against the drywall anyways, creating a colder wall and likely a draft since they what you to have no air/vapour barrier. I would love some one to persuade me how this makes sense? I can understand the "no air/vapour barrier" if you have enough foam (especially with foil surface) and it is continuous and sealed completely but in the scenario they have you doing ,what stops the air movement?
IM sorry but I would not approve of it at all. Problem is you cant pass code if you don't do it according to inspector. Your caught in the middle. At the very least I would ask if you could use a Cetainteeds continuous air barrier & smart vapour retarder product. It would act as an air barrier at least.
Here is a link:https://www.certainteed.com/building-in ... /membrain/
If you've found our videos or website information helpful, please considering making a donation using PayPal or pledging us on Patreon